Wed Wabbit, by Lissa Evans

razreads's review against another edition

Complete review available: Wed Wabbit

Goodreads review to follow...

ellieanor's review against another edition

2018 CARNEGIE LONGLIST BOOK 10/20

Let's face it, I never thought I would love this book. However, I did not expect to be so intensely irritated by a book that I wanted to throw it against a wall and start pounding my head on the ground. Literally the moment I finished this I took big gulps of relieved breaths because I was so glad to get out. That irritation has literally masked my whole opinion of this book and I could literally not rate it higher, even if I wanted to.

Looking past the horrible cover (they need to change that, it isn't very appealing), this book is about a girl called Fidge who has an annoying younger sister who reads this book called the Land of the Wimbley Woos. She also has lots of toys, inclduing a purple elephant and a "wed wabbit". When the younger sister is involved in a car accident, Fidge has to go and stay with her horrible cousin, Graham, and ends up getting stuck in a world which is a weird combination of her sister's favourite book, her cuddley toys, with Wed Wabbit as an evil dictator. In this world, there are colourful dustbin shaped creatures called wimbleys and - and I just can't do it anymore. As you have probably noticed, this book is complete and utter nonsense. I hated it. The world was babyish and so silly. But Eleanor, you say, this is a children's book. It's supposed to be like that. Ah no, no, no, no, no, no, here is my problem. It was written well enough for older kids BUT I feel like older kids would have lost patience with this just like me, and younger children would not be able to read it. I feel like this is one of those books which is aimed at critics who will then praise it for children. I think some authors need to think about what audience they are aiming at, and when writing children's books, we need to think about what children will really enjoy.

I cannot rate this any higher, for reasons that you have read already, but there were SOME things that I would have liked about it had it not been set in the most annoying world ever. I liked some of the things Ella said, they were funny but positive, and I kind of liked how Graham became nicer. But it was just against such a nonsense and annoying background that all the good things just sort of...paled. Which is sad, because there were some elements buried in here that I think people would enjoy.

So, despite the good reviews, this was a no from me. I just don't like to read about creatures that can't pronounce their w and I cannot deal with talking dustbins. This didn't really have an audience who would fully appreciate it either - the writing style was too complex for really young children who would like the genre, I think. And I just don't know why anyone would want to read about something this intensely annoying.

fabisantiago's review

adventurous emotional funny inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

This book is incredibly imaginative. Hilarious and surreal story with super funny and unforgettable characters.

piperbunny's review against another edition

Loved it! Very imaginative. Had elements of Enid Blyton's Book of Brownies, wacky and creativeness. You really have to leave behind your adult brain for this one!

lhmccar's review against another edition

This book is perfect! Funny, moving.

neverel's review against another edition

I didn't know anything about this book when I started it. It's wonderfully weird!

katherinereads94's review against another edition

This was a really sweet and heartwarming story. It was full of fun and a perfect read to end 2018 on.

waregemma's review against another edition

This was so much fun. I read this out loud to my 6 and 8 year olds and they loved it. They already asking to read it again.

leannasloth's review against another edition

.I LOVE the book so much i can not PUT IT DOWN best book EVER!!!!

gemmaflanagan's review against another edition

I'm really glad I finally got round to reading this book. Its fun and hilariously funny. I really do recommend it .