Hurricane Summer, by Asha Bromfield

marieke_du_pre's review

Wow! A surprisingly well written story about a Canadian girl visiting her Jamaican father, facing the differences between both countries, including classism, racism (between colored people!) and sexism. This story is written by an actress from Riverdale. I never watched that series so I didn’t know Asha Bromfield. NetGalley provided me direct access to this story and I was curious if the actress could write too. Well, the answer is wholeheartedly: Yes! The more I read, the more intrigued I became by this sometimes dark story.

The writing is very accessible and descriptive, from the moment I started reading, Tilla became a real person, and I could see life on Jamaica through her eyes so vividly. I liked the way Asha Bromfield played with words and made sentences sound almost lyrical:
I want to cry tears of joy and confess the pain in my heart like a child in need of a Band-Aid. I want to tell him I hate him. I want to tell him I love him more than I could ever hate him.

The story is full of dialogue in Patois and the first pages of the book contain a dictionary of Patois. Not just two or three pages but a lot! And I though OMG I have an eARC and I can’t keep scrolling back time and again I don’t understand the Patois. But I shouldn’t have worried because after I read a few pages, my common knowledge of English was more than enough to understand most sentences (and I’m not even a native speaker).

The story is about Tilla and her Jamaican family. Her normal world and the Jamaican world are far apart from each other. She’s seen as rich because she has a backpack and more than one pair of shoes (even ten pair!).
There will be no fair trial. They have decided that just by being from foreign, I am spoiled and spoon-fed. I am bad, and I need to be punished. The princess will be put in her place.

She’s astonished by the harshness she encounters, the way people treat her and each other. The sexism and racism she never thought she’d find on the island.
Being lighter-skinned offers you celebration and praise. It offers you homecoming. And under this measure, there wil be no celebration for dark boys.

And there’s the relationship with her father and so much more. It’s difficult to describe everything Tilla is facing that summer without revealing too much. That also applies to the other characters in the story. So I only highlight one: Andre. I loved him and rooted for him, such a sweet and cheerful guy despite everything that happens.

Like I said before this is a very well written debut and I got goosebumps several times because of what happened and how people including Tilla were treated. I’d love to read more from Asha Bromfield.

I received an ARC from Wednesday Books and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

alannar2422's review

Such a beautiful book. I felt the heartbreak, the love and the growth Tilla went through. This book was absolutely amazing!!

alex_nonymous's review

I know a lot of the negative reviews on this one come from the fact that this isn't necessarily a "happy" or clean ending so right off the bat if all your books have to be that, you probably won't enjoy this.

Tilla goes through a lot in Hurricane Summer and a lot of the people who put her through that never really pay but that's not what the book is about. Hurricane Summer uses its beautiful narration and easy to empathize with POV character to demonstrate the strength Tilla is about to find and maintain through the injustices and mess around her and I think it does that wonderfully. It's a bit slow starting but once the characters get a hold on you, it's hard to let go.

ajewel4books's review

emotional sad tense medium-paced

breboom450's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

karmas_shelf24's review against another edition

“Mom says you get two birthdays.
The first one is the day you are born.
The second is the day you leave home and give birth to yourself.”

This coming of age story was so well written and will evoke every emotion known from you. I have visited Jamaica a few times but never have experienced the Jamaica that those born there call home. The book touches on classism, colorism, religion, sexuality, and the broken-heartedness that an absent father creates.

prichand's review

challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

dewana's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

mistyeve's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

osoordinary's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense slow-paced