Reviews tagging Body shaming

Hurricane Summer, by Asha Bromfield

signediza's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

decklededgess's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

trigger warnings: rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, slut shaming, physical abuse, negligent parent, natural disaster, near death experience, blood, death of loved one, cancer mention, abortion mention, teenage pregnancy mention, bullying, infidelity and extramarital affair, misogyny, colourism, grief, suicidal thoughts, depression and anxiety

WTF WHY WAS THIS SO SAD. It was SO GOOD BUT LIKE NO GOOD THINGS HAPPEN. Trauma upon trauma. The main point, I guess, was to learn to self heal and weather your storms and fight your demons by yourself because those who disappoint you will never take responsibility and help your healing but SHIT. Tilla has to suffer SO MUCH in such a short period of time.

It's such a good book but DUDE.

caitlindee's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

>>Alright here we go. First things first, I won an advanced copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway - I don't know if that's relevant but I figured I would make that known. Second thing, CONTENT WARNINGS. This book covers a lot of topics and I wanted to bring those to light so you can be informed before going into the book (I'm not saying don't read the book, I'm just saying heavy shit happens and content warnings are important). SO.
>>Content Warnings: domestic violence, physical/emotional/verbal abuse, sexual assault/rape depicted on-page, sexual harassment, colorism, sexism/misogyny/slut-shaming, classism, as well as a character death.
>>Now onto the review. I got so incredibly angry at this book on behalf of the main character, and I think the author did a great job in connecting you to her life, her emotions, her pain, and her journey. This book addresses so many different topics and sometimes that can make a book feel all over the place, but I didn't feel that way at all. The important topics were seamlessly inputted into the story and made sense given the experiences the main character was going through. I wish that there had been somewhat more of a "resolution" to some of the negative experiences that she went through, but I also think realistically, not everything gets resolved the way that we want it to (and I also believe this resembles some of the author's personal experiences) and that's unfortunate, but it's how things are sometimes. I really appreciated the author including the Patois dictionary at the beginning of the book - it was very helpful to read that beforehand and it helped me a lot to pick up and understand the language while reading. It definitely became second nature very quickly in the book and was not a hindrance at all, and added a lot to the story.
>>Overall, I thought this book was a stunning coming-of-age story and I would definitely recommend it!

amandalynnnb's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced

Thank you, NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with this eARC in exchange for an honest review. Hurricane Summer follows Tilla while she visits Jamaica, where her father lives, for the summer with her younger sisters, Mia. I will say right now, there are explicit scenes of sexual assault, and quite a few other scenes of serious mistreatment that I would call emotional and verbal abuse from family.
Tilla has a really hard relationship with her father. She remembers the good times in Canada when her mom and dad were happy. She remembers the time where they fight and yell and then her dad goes back to Jamaica for periods of time before returning to her family. This time he’s been gone for a while and she doesn’t think he will be coming back. So, her and her sister are going to Jamaica for the summer and Tilla is so angry with her dad. She feels like he forgot about her, like he doesn’t want to be a part of their family anymore. But the moment she sees him at the airport, all that goes away. She’s happy to see him, to be with him. But the plans keep changing and she has to keep reminding herself that her father never sticks to what he says. Tilla and her sister end up at the family home in the country. They’re both excited to meet their family. Tilla is especially excited to reunite with her cousin Andre, one of the few cousins she remembers. The summer doesn’t turn out to be all sunshine and quality family time as she hopes. One of her aunts treats her horribly when her father isn’t around and tells lies when she reports back to Tilla’s father. Every time Tilla finds an afternoon of happiness, it’s torn down by her family, people that are supposed to love her.
This was a really emotional story. From the familial abuse, to the death of a family member, Tilla does her best to hold it together. She was such a strong main character. She always did her best to make the best situation she could for herself. I absolutely loved the moments she spends with her cousins, exploring the country. These were some of my favorite parts of the book. It was really hard to see Tilla just take the abuse from some of her cousins and aunts, and even her father. I was so proud of her when she finally stood up for herself. Even though she didn’t always get the results she wanted, I was so proud of her for speaking up.
Overall, this is not an easy story to read, but it was a stunning story about what it means to be a woman dealing with assault and abuse. It shows what it means to have a father that doesn’t believe in you, one that you feel just doesn’t love you anymore. It talks about racism within the community of Jamaica. I think this book did everything it was trying to do and it did it so well. I highly recommend this book to anyone that can handle these hard topics.