Nightvine, by Felicia Davin

janlhill's review

I found the first book a bit long to get into, but the familiarity with the characters made this one easy to just fall into and be swept along. Looking forward to the resolution in the third.

kotabee's review

greyemk's review

fast-paced

naye's review

adventurous emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

jwells's review

Okay, probably doesn't count as part of Spring 2020 Stay-Home Romance Binge on the grounds that it's really fantasy with a romance subplot, but it has the best first kiss, y'all.

schneefink's review

I like Thiyo :) He was a great addition to Alizhan and Ev, they make a great and fun team. I liked the whole mess with Ilyr, and getting to see more of the world and other characters, and the reveal of what is in the book (though in hindsight I feel like I should have guessed.) The writing style is slightly too, hm, blunt/direct for my taste, but it didn't really bother me either.

whatsbeckyreading's review

DNF at 55% -- not a bad book, just not grabbing me right now.

dylan_tomorrow's review

This is very much that second part of a trilogy where everything our heroes try kind of fails and kind of works. Nothing goes as planned, but not all hope is lost.

Because of that it took my longer to get through. Not because it's less well written. but because it's much more painful, sad and infuriating to read and the stakes are so much higher.

At least the romance between Ev and Alizhan develops, in a good, wonderfully written way. They sure need it!! Same goes for their friendship with Thiyo and all the helping people they meet along the way.

This is not the book I wanted to read but there is, I am afraid, nothing wrong with it. It just has the hopes and dreams of our heroes collide with the cruel, bleak reality of this fucked-up world. So much to be sad and angry about.

Thank god for world-weary Thiyo snarking at everyone to make it more bearable while unsuccessfully pretending he is heartless.

And that ending, plus the first chapter of the next book, combined, are just one evil cliffhanger that I will thankfully not have to live with for more than a month or so. But still. Come on!

The third book better have some hard-earned triumph for our heroes. Because if it won't, I will throw it at the wall like Alizhan a certain book.

Since the next book is not out here, let me declare my demands right now, not that anyone cares 😂: Iryat out of power, her conspiracy uncovered thanks to Alizhan restoring everyone's memories, Alizhan and Ev happily together leading the house, magic and same sex love legalized.

A total pipe dream, considering how utterly fucked Ev, Alizhan and Thiyo are right now, but I want to believe!

mx_misfit's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

ktrecs's review

I love this book, and this series, so much i'm having trouble articulating my thoughts at the moment.
RTC.

ETA 10-14-19. FULL REVIEW HERE.

I cannot say enough good about this series. I can't believe how few people have read them. These books have everything I could ever want in a fantasy series and I was enthralled from start to finish.

There's so much to praise here: the worldbuilding, intricate and expansive; the pacing and plot, filling each book teeming with adventure in a genre that often falls victim to over-serialization; magic that isn't only novel but that expands and deepens our experience of the novel itself - I'm talking, of course, of Thiyo's and Alizhan's gifts, and the way that between them we an inside track to experience characters and cultures in such a whole and holistic way. And I haven't even mentioned the characters - it is so refreshing, so meaningful, to read a story whose pages are filled with such diverse characters, written in such a thoughtful way, and to feel the relationship between them build and flourish - and especially, not to be baited or teased or let down.

These books are a work of art. Please read them.