All We Can Do Is Wait, by Richard Lawson

agtcm1221's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful sad fast-paced

alittledizzy's review against another edition

emotional sad tense slow-paced

zetafiction's review against another edition

Lawson's prose is lovely, but there's a remove or a maturity to it that doesn't quite mesh with the YA genre. It doesn't feel like a YA book. In any case, as always, I want to read more of his writing.

nvi's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

taylor_nic0le's review against another edition

This story was a good story, but not AMAZING. The flashbacks between the past and the present were done so seamlessly, and I was invested in essentially all the characters. Even the secondary ones. It’s very well written and I think the author captures the character emotions and situation they’re all in very well.

littlemissbookworm's review against another edition

"All We Can Do Is Wait" tells the heart-breaking story of a tragic accident and its aftermath.

One moment there was a bridge spanning the river and the next, there wasn't. The news of the tragedy spreads like wildfire and worried Bostonians rush to the hospital to find out if their loved ones made it out alive. In their midst, there are Skyler, Jason, Alexa, Scott and Morgan - five teenagers who've never met before, but are united in their sorrow. Short of being a shoulder to cry on for each other, there's nothing they can do. All they can do is wait...

I really like the premise of this book and the prologue gripped me almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, Richard Lawson wasn't able to keep that level of suspense for very long. Don't get me wrong, "All We Can Do Is Wait" is a good book with a nerve-wracking plot, but the over-use of lengthy flashbacks slows it down quite a bit. Flashbacks in general are great in order to get to know the characters better, but shorter ones would have sufficed and not taken away from the suspense as much.
The characters themselves are diverse and interesting and I like that each of them has their own "voice".

I recommend this novel to teenagers as well as adults, who enjoy reading tragic stories à la "54 minutes" and "Girl Underwater".

catie0537's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

bdtellefsen's review against another edition

After a bridge in Boston collapses killing and injuring hundreds, a group of teenagers find themselves drawn together in the waiting room of the local hospital as they wait to find out the fate of their loved ones. Throughout this time we learn more about each teen and their history with the loved ones they may lose.

Though I enjoyed this story for the most part, I feel that so much more could have been done with the plot of this book and that it was wasted on a 277 page YA novel.

First, there was far more focus on the teenagers themselves, rather than the victims of the bridge collapse. In order for a story like this, one that involves a tragedy with mass victims, to be effective, you have to care about the victims. Or at the very least, you have to be invested in their relationship to the surviving characters and I did not find that to be the case with this story.

For the most part, we were focusing on each teenagers' own personal drama and in certain instances, it didn't even involve the bridge victims. For example, Jason and Alexa are siblings who are waiting on news of their parents. But instead of focusing on their relationship with those parents, we focus on their relationship with each other as well as some mutual grief they share about a loss in their past.

Now, this might have been okay if I actually cared about these characters but to be honest, I found them often to be unlikable and selfish. I was more interested in their backstories rather then their present day situation.

I feel that this story lacked a great deal of substance for a topic that, in itself, is substantial. It could be because the length of the story was very short and you definitely can't flesh out this type of narrative in that length of time. It could be an age-gap issue because it is targeting young teens. Either way, it did not follow through on the emotional factor that I was expecting.

I will say, that I feel Richard Lawson did a great job of capturing the complexity of grief. How the possibility of losing someone close to you can bring about a range of emotions that isn't just about fear or sadness. It could be relief. Or even, just the selfish "what am I going to do now?" that comes with that loss.

Overall, this was fairly "meh." I can't say that in six months I will remember the story or the characters but it was entertaining during the moment.

zoot's review against another edition

Interesting concept/style of story telling but I'm not sure the quality was there to support it. Felt a little flat.

heathershectichideaway's review against another edition

I found this book on my library’s website and without reading the entire synopsis I picked it up. This book takes place in Boston where a group of people become trapped in the Boston General Hospital. During the entire novel you get to know a group of teenagers from their points of view. I felt as if it was marketed as an adult novel but, it definitely could be read by any age group. This book was beautiful all the way around and it could easily be my favorite book of the year!