Jade City, by Fonda Lee

yourbestamericangirl's review

dnf at 200 pages.

wow. no. no more heterosexuality. no more explicit straight sex scenes. no more super boring beginning that i know gets better but its been 200 pages and im bored out of my goddamn mind. i don't care for any of the characters either, not even the confused gay teenager who's just vibing. no thank you. this was not my thing

fabledfolklore's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

elliepond's review

Guess this book was just not for me. I am honestly so shocked by all of the love and hype this book has. There’s nothing wrong with it and it’s well-written, but every plot point just seemed obvious and at times unearned. A truly average book. I think my high expectations for it is what made it that much worse for me.

bookmarkhoarder's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

enchantedjulie's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

btrz7's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

bookish_sabrina's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

Without knowing it, I've been waiting for a book like this since I read the Song of Ice and Fire Books in 2012-2014. Those books have left a political fantasy craving that I haven't quite satisfied since I reaad those books. That is, until I read Jade City.

I was hooked from the start - a couple of ignorant gangster wannabees trying to pull off a daring heist, and failing miserably. That small action of two nobodies is the catalyst for a city-wide conflict between two clans. Even though things seem at peace, events like the failed heist that should only create ripples end up creating tidal waves, exposing how thinly veiled and vulnerable that peace is. We follow many different characters across this conflict as they all try to do what is right. However, nobody in this book is acting just for themselves. Whether they want it or not, any member of the Kaul family knows that every decision they make could change their place in the family organization, as well as the family's place in the city. High stakes run throughout the book. Every event is necessary, every chapter, no matter how short, propels the plot forward in an important way. This book does not abuse violence, nor does it make concessions on character development in favor of plot alone. In this novel, one does not operate without the other. It couldn't have been easy to write a book that so delicately balances plot and character while keeping the politics juicy, the stakes sky-high with mounting global implications, and the characters interesting, believable, and sympathetic.

mythicpages's review against another edition

tense slow-paced

aboltoutofthebook's review

it's been 496 pages and i still can't decide whether hilo's an idiot or a great leader. but dang, that was good.

this book left my brain in pure tangles and shambles, but it was so worth it. jade city is a historical fantasy set in the island of kekon, where jade is highly coveted being both a sign of status and a source of power. it was so reminiscent of those chinese kungfu dramas i used to be obsessed with, and all the political intrigue balanced out with intergenerational family ties made it such a vibrant, immersive read.

rae_bookmarkchronicles's review

adventurous challenging dark tense medium-paced

I was really loving this until about halfway through. I like the characters, I was intrigued by the history and structure of the clans, but some of the events in the second half fell flat for me.

Spoiler Lan's death was very anticlimactic and I don't necessarily know if that needed to happen. I feel like maybe it was to force Shae back into the clan which honestly felt like it would have happened eventually without that.

I also didn't like the direction that Anden's story went in.
Spoiler I hate that he rejected his jade and Hilo kicked him out of the family.

And the thing that pissed me off the most is that
Spoiler somehow Bero's bitch ass is still alive. He seriously thinks that he somehow managed to kill the Pillar of the No Peak clan and he didn't even have anything to do with it. He strayed from his actual assignment and followed a super powerful Green Bone, got caught in the process and then ran away like a little bitch. What did he think he did??? Literally Lan fell off of a fucking cliff and that's it. Bero better not last until the end of this series.