Here There Are Monsters, by Amelinda Bérubé

hnmoore's review

5 stars. There's no way I could possibly write a review. This book was absolutely haunting.

gypsyfire_89's review

This book was OK. I was expecting more of a creep-factor more along the lines of a horror--don't get me wrong, there WERE some gruesome moments but honestly, the story didn't really start to pick up until halfway through. I have to give credit to the author for her vision of "setting the scene" and description of the "monsters". I agree with others and wish we knew more about them.

kaylaacakes's review

I was totally confused 90% of the time

raisinglebarre's review

I finished reading it, but I still don't really understand the point of this book.

The ending was very unexpected, but horribly unfulfilling. There wasn't a single character that I liked.

The writing style was the only reason I gave it to stars, rather than one.

eander93's review

So here's the thing:

I am firmly on the fence about this book. Part of it is that the first-person prose was just a little much for me. It's not something I typically enjoy a sustained reading of, especially when the POV is a teenager's. The flowery-ness of the descriptions don't sound like a teenager, although although many of the social issues rang true.

Regardless of how I feel about the prose choices, the story itself was excellent. It was spooky. And it was told in a way that made me keep reading despite the first-person POV, despite the flowery descriptions. What happened to Deirdre? Will Skye get her sister back? What will happen when Skye gets her new friends involved?

Most importantly: How does Skye live with the choices she's made? With what she's learned about herself?

The real monsters are things we create ourselves.

sabrinav625's review

I listened to this one as an audiobook. It started off pretty good, and had a lot of good points about it. It didn't beat around the bush or try to be more than it was. The characters were interesting enough, but not loveable or hateable - everyone was sort of just... present.

I liked the ending, I thought it was quite satisfying!

maggiebooks's review

This book was so disappointing. I was expecting a horror story but it’s not. At least for me it was not. It had much to develop, but the story kept developing around the same. I like the writing and the idea of this book, I really enjoyed the first 100 pages or so, but the narrative didn’t develop like I was expecting.

john_opalenik's review

I wasn't sold at first because I've read a few stories somewhat recently with the setup of two siblings, one of whom goes missing. But by the midpoint of the book, I was very sold on the very fresh take on the monster in the woods.

It's a nice blend of horror and fantasy that can be chills-inducing at just the right moments.

stuckinthestacks's review

*I was provided a free earc of this book in exchange for an honest review. All subsequent opinions are my own.

Here There Are Monsters by Amelinda Berube is a young adult horror novel that is marketed as Blair Witch meets Imaginary Girls. While the story might share some elements with the above mentioned works I think it would be more accurate to describe it as a supernatural thriller with dashes of horror thrown in.

The story follows two sisters: Skye who just wants to fit in and have friends. She has always felt responsible for her younger sister and that sense of obligation really drives her decisions and motivations throughout the story. Then there is imaginitive, reclusive Deidre who cares very little about what other people think and spends more time in worlds she imagines than in reality. When Diedre suddenly disappears one night Skye is left to pick up the pieces as her family falls apart. What's more, she can feel something ominous watching her from the woods.

Overall, its a slow burn with an eerie atmosphere and spine tingling scenes. While the supernatural elements felt a little heavy handed at times I loved Berube's writing style which was both engaging and immersive. I thought it was incredibly bold to end the story the way she did.

Ultimately, I gave this book 4/5 stars.

I would especially recommend this book to anyone who has enjoyed Sawkill Girls, The Devouring Gray, and/or Stranger Things.

TW: harn to animals, animal death

wisteriabelle's review

There are no words for how this book made me feel in the end...
Yet all I can say is that it broke me.