City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare

gabyx's review

In love with the book, so excited to read the whole series!

bhavani's review against another edition

Rating: 2.5 stars

City of Bones has an equal mix of interesting and not-so-interesting scenes. There are some scenes where I'm like "wow this is nerve-wracking, I want to know what happens next" and my eyes are skipping over the text and speed reading ahead. At others, I'm like "how on earth am I supposed to sustain enough interest to read through the whole series?"

I'm hoping that the story gets better as it goes along.

walktheworldandread's review

I have had this series on my to-read list for YEARS!
I love the idea of it and I did thoroughly enjoy the novel in the end. The romance was predictable and the dialogue not complicated, but I love these books. That is precisely why I picked it up, for a comfortable, heart-warming read. I am very much inclined to continue with the series for the same reason.

rholbrook's review against another edition

2.5/5 stars. Not a perfect book by any means, but sometimes you just need some light YA fantasy and this was pure escapist entertainment which is exactly what I wanted. Will likely be continuing with this series throughout 2019.

eljaytacang's review against another edition

I am upset. I knew it was coming but it still upset me. I have way too many emotions gah...

Anyways on to the review. When I started this book, I didn't know about the controversies surrounding the series and the author. Not until I noticed some parallels between Harry Potter, which is not Jace and Clary, who were thought to be Draco and Ginny from a fanfic or something. That was not even concerning to me to be honest. But the idea about Valentine and his ideals and the way he was actually alive (although it may be different with the way it had proceeded), the name bugged me and I was just wondering why it had to be so close to Voldemort's name

lisa_readsbooks's review

I hope that city of ashes has more of magnus.

tericr's review against another edition

(changed rating from 5 to 4 stars)
Ok so like I still liked it very much reading it for like the second/third time.
I just didn't loooove it as much as I used to if that makes sense? I still adore the characters though and I'm escited to see where the story goes (I've only ever read to City of Glass- so the OG trilogy). Now I have the remaining three books, so I will power through to see where it all ends - plus, to continue with the various other series Cassie Clare has written since.

thirs's review

*2.5
So I am very late with starting this series. And I only started this because the books later on in the series are really hyped. So I want to see if the hype is true. The first book is of to a rocky start. I could not really get into the book and most characters seem really superficial. I do know that first books are used to describe the world or political system, but that is also lacking in this book. I do hope these books will improve, because the concept of this book is rather unique (in their time).

bealves233's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

thebookdisciple's review

Easy read-fantasy and fun. The words she chooses are sometimes WAY too much and leads tona poor writing style but it stopped bother me as the story got better. It is predictable though.