Me Before You, by Jojo Moyes

cinderrunner's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

nataliereadsokay's review against another edition

emotional funny sad medium-paced

laraa_a's review against another edition

I watched the film before I'd read the book and that honestly didn't affect my enjoyment of reading it because, even though I knew the general plot and ending, I was still an emotional mess by the end of it and I still grew to love the characters even more.

There were so many scenes that have stuck with me, so many quotes that I just love, and just so much I enjoyed about this book and all the extra details that didn't make it into the film adaptation!

jnbell2012's review against another edition

Heartfelt yet sad

If you are looking for a novel where she saves him, this is not the one. But it was wonderfully written and I have a soft spot for both Lou and Will.

emmaschultz's review against another edition

Well shit I forgot how sad this was

jessica_coyne's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

p4intthestars's review

This book was good. Not great, but a well rounded average good.

I sought this book out after seeing previews for the movie because I'm a firm believer in reading the book before seeing the film. I read the entire novel in one sitting, so it definitely does it's job keeping you turning the pages. I think this might actually be a very rare instance of the movie having more emotional depth than the book.

I just didn't find myself emotionally invested in the characters. Normally with these types of books I will be a blubbering mess by the end, but I never shed a tear for the protagonists. While the love story is touching and beautiful, the author never really delves deeper into the whys of the emotions, and it feels very gimmicky. The story is sad, with slight hope to keep you going, but in the end no new ground is covering, no major literary breakthroughs were made.

The one thing the book does have really going for it is the coverage of right to die options. This has obviously been in the news headlines quite a bit for a few years now, and I really enjoyed that the author didn't just take the cookie cutter method and explored a rather controversial topic instead.

If you are looking for a sweet, but mindless page turner to distract yourself, this is the perfect book for it.

thick_thighs_thicker_reads's review against another edition

I laughed. I cried. Why did I torture myself reading this even knowing the ending? Because it was worth it.

kellbethreads's review against another edition

This book was amazing and challenged everything I thought I believed. I can’t wait to dive into the rest of the series!

hoyabear's review against another edition

read this for my work book club. made me cry several times, which means it deserves at least four stars.