Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake, by Alexis Hall

ssejig's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

Rosaline Palmer applies many labels to herself: mother, bisexual, disappointment to her parents, bakery worker. She's on her way to applying one more, contestant on Bake Expectations. She considers herself very lucky and even more so when she meets a fellow contestant on her way up to the first weekend. Yes, their train is cancelled causing both to be late and, yes, Rosaline tells Alain an outrageous lie because she is flustered and attracted to him. But that is quickly cleared up and Rosaline is on her way to making friends and winning hearts. Well, sort of. She still has to juggle her precocious eight-year-old, her day-to-day job, and her parents who are not only disappointed in her life choices, they let her know with every conversation.
Like most of Hall's books, the characters come alive, even the side characters who are not even on that many pages. I got a little bogged down in the middle but only a little. Hall is an amazing writer and I have so far enjoyed everything I've read. Can't wait for the next book in this series.

littlewishling's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

What a funny little love story. I love how Hall writes friendships and this is another shining example. I also adored the British bake off setting.
SpoilerI do wish that Rosaline spent less time with Alain and more time with Harry. I was frustrated by her not ditching him sooner.

kobfroggie's review against another edition

Don't read this as a Romance. It's more like a "Women's Fiction" about character growth and life choices. Still a very good book with a great story of character growth. LOL funny in many, many parts.

4 stars

eknielsen's review against another edition

reading this book was like getting a warm hug from a himbo

emimaz924's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

snowydaze's review against another edition

funny fast-paced

chambersaurusrx's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

honeykai22's review against another edition

Alexis Hall continues to amaze me with his fricking brilliant characters and stories. Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake is romantic, hilarious, and makes me want to bake a cake and fall in love. All that magic is brought together with a badass female MC who’s not afraid to call people out on their sh*t, and not afraid to look at and question her own choices and beliefs. Absolutely loved this book

missb_reads's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

slothette's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced

It’s hard to write a review for this book without spoilers. Instead, I’ll say a love triangle requires two possible love interests. One of them I hated from jump, which made this book less than ideal. Like… was anyone supposed to believe it was a love triangle? Did anyone???