Reviews tagging 'Sexual content'

A Duke by Default, by Alyssa Cole

martamae77's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

the_vegan_bookworm's review against another edition

lighthearted slow-paced

I hated Portia in A Princess in Theory, but Cole managed to create a character that I came to appreciate and root for throughout this book. Portia was fun and in some ways really relatable, and she had great chemistry with Tav. I couldn't stand the ending, however, and the book was riddled with plot holes.

Spoiler Making the Queen the sassy side character was a bizarre choice for me. The whole plot point with the nail polish made no sense. How would her nails be that visible in photos to notice the difference? How would no one with her IRL see that change? Don't you have to submerge your nail into the drink for it to work?
Why did no one suspect Portia might have been drugged instead of managing to get smashed in the span of like 10 minutes after not drinking for months? That's such a weird assumption to make when you've been present for her recovery journey! The final conflicts  between Tav and Portia were also pointless. How is it a misunderstanding when you literally tell someone to leave and go back to America? Do we ever address the sister knowingly letting her brother drug Portia? What was the point of him drugging Portia in the first place?

egmamaril's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

This was a lovely book, but I live in Scotland and found it hard to suspend my disbelief.

astropova's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

Absolutely excellent, loved it! And now I have a new trope to add to my wheelhouse: "here I come to save/fix your shop/town/life"!

memorable's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

I really like this series! I didn’t know I was one to like stories of royalty, but here I am.
I didn’t like Portia in the first book as a side character, but learned to love her in this book! It all made me understand her more and knowing where she’s coming from, her actions are understandable!
The ending felt somewhat rushed, I had the same feeling listening to the first one, too. There is such a huge built-up and then after the climax everything happens somewhat fast. I really like the story nonetheless and I definitely want to read the other books of the series, too!

beholderess's review