The Will and the Wilds, by Charlie N. Holmberg

stateofiction's review

I know it's only 250 pages and I should finish it but I just do not care and the writing style is not it

toloveisdestroy's review

I cannot begin to fathom nor even entirely express how deeply I adored this novel. Every second held me dearly within it's grasp. I could visualize each scene perfectly, and with it every terrifying and dramatic moment. The end, although slightly rushed, was extremely fitting and worth every second. I already wish to re-read this book again!

carolibrary's review

This was the first ebook I read in years after I won it from a Goodreads giveaway that I entered on a whim, so I went into the story without expectations. The Will and the Wilds is is a quasi-Beauty and the Beast retelling, but it is not the epic fantasy adventure I thought it might be. The story is told on a much smaller scale than most popular YA fantasies on the market. While this book does not cover a lot of ground (literally), it instead focuses on developing the characters and unique magic system.

Enna is a typical YA heroine. She does not fit in. She lives on the outskirts of town with her struggling father and longs to be a scholar of mystings (demons), which is unheard of for a young woman. I admired her determination, compassion, and constant quest for understanding.

After a mysting attacks her, Enna summons the mysting Maekallus for protection, but when their deal goes wrong, Enna must give a soul-transferring kiss to save both their lives. This story is mostly about their changing relationship as she sacrifices pieces of her soul and Maekallus gains them. Maekallus becomes more and more human with each kiss, while Enna withers away. Really interesting perspective about what it means to be human.

I wanted more from the climax of the story. While I enjoyed reading about Enna’s mysting research and the slow building romance, I expected a final epic battle, but the story delivered an underwhelming showdown. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, but I wanted a little more action.

Blog | Instagram

maya_shaffer's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

serena_dawn's review

I requested this book by NetGalley & received a free copy. I regret that this took me so long to finish, but I had to savor it, it was a comfort to me in times of COVID-19. It's a rare book, if I had to liken it to others perhaps something like [b:The Near Witch|6931344|The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)|Victoria Schwab|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1299080471l/6931344._SY75_.jpg|7162375] or [b:The Hob's Bargain|285209|The Hob's Bargain|Patricia Briggs|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1309286918l/285209._SY75_.jpg|276707] there's the girl in the woods who's between wisewoman and witch. She just wants to live in the woods in peace, but trouble finds her, has a history with her or her family or town, and she goes and seeks out a different kind of trouble of her own to bring to heel what troubles her. Such a book is a rare treat, hard to describe, and I think has a unique if folklore feel. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I hope someday there will be a sequel to The Will and the Wild.

ink__and__page's review

Took me a while to feel invested in the characters, and although I was rooting for the two main characters to get together by the end of the story there was something about it that just seemed to fall a bit short for me. There were twists and turns to the story, some unique world building, and more fantasy elements to this story than I’ve read for a while. It was a bit of variety to my reads which I can appreciate.

luvyoumore82's review

15-year-old me would've eaten this up and probably wanted to read it again right away. I read this with those eyes and found myself grinning picturing lil me being taken in. Doesn't matter the moments that feel abundantly borrowed from other well-known fantasy giants, I still managed to enjoy myself. It's a short fun read.

millennialbookreview's review against another edition

The Will and the Wilds is a book I felt slightly let down by. I thought that the writing itself was good. I enjoyed the cozy, fairytale-esque atmosphere of the story. There were parts of the story that I really loved. I really liked the character arc Maekallus had. At the same time, Enna’s character development wasn’t nearly as satisfying, nor was the romance particularly interesting. The plot was a bit predictable and the world didn’t feel as fully realized as some of the author’s other works. The book overall just felt very underwhelming. It’s a good read for a quiet Saturday, though. I’d recommend it to someone looking for a cozy, calm fantasy read.

my full review can be found here

yeahorneighreviews's review against another edition

The Will and the Wilds is a magical journey! I was enthralled from the very beginning, and love when an author makes me question falling for certain characters. There were times with the story, that I was afraid things wouldn't work out, whether it was in the way I wanted or not. This story was bewitching in the best way, and I love that the author even composed a song to help bring it to life! I've read The Will and the Wilds twice now, and the audio book was definitely the way to go. The characters are brought to life in vivid detail, and even though I knew what was going to happen, I still found myself gasping or crying at certain parts.

Blog review - https://yeahorneighreviews.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-will-and-wilds-by-charlie-n-holmberg.html

faerique's review