Master & Apprentice by Claudia Gray

rahzel20's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

pedrofrola's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

unrealpunk's review against another edition

Master and Apprentice is the third Claudia Gray book I've read, after Bloodline and Lost Stars, and it didn't quite live up to the expectations set by those two books.  Some of the problems with the book are baked into the prequel-era Jedi order, so try as she might to make the Jedi prophecies an interesting topic it's a pretty dry well.  The dynamics between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and the council are also mostly outside the author's control, but the decision to put us up-close and personal with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's inner monologues was not well executed.  The depiction of the characters as insecure and mentally undisciplined struck me as unfaithful and unrealistic; I just don't believe that's how the minds of these great Jedi would work.  And it's unpleasant similar to the way that Anakin's petulance is unpleasant in Attack of the Clones, but at least in that case the angst was there for a reason and made sense with Anakin's unorthodox and tragic induction into the order.  The dynamics at play in Master and Apprentice would have been much more impactful if the inner monologues had been cut and were instead allowed to exist subtextually; the basic contours would still have been apparent through the dialog and actions alone.  And that also goes for the other characters in the book — there's little room for subtlety, so they end up looking simplistic.

But consistently there are little nuggets of wonderful storytelling scattered throughout the book, so even while I was about to roll my eyes suddenly something would charm me or make me laugh.

The ending was very lackluster.  A true epic space opera could have gone so much more in-depth into the events of the last fifty pages, when a lot of the most interesting stuff in the book happens, but this final section is written almost like a plot-summary.  The big bad is a mystery but the reveal is uninteresting; the idea has a lot of potential but it's undeveloped and then the consequences are just brushed off.  The book has a a lot of thematic elements that are promising but don't lead anywhere, and the same goes for the flashbacks — relevant but not integral.  This along with the plot-summary-style ending makes it feel like the book is missing some pieces.

Some of the pulpy elements involving a change to Obi-Wan's lightsaber, and flying a spacecraft inside another spacecraft (obviously influenced by the The Phantom Menace) didn't quite land for me.  I'm giving it three stars, but if it were ever considered in a vacuum apart from the movies (not likely I suppose) it would be more like two.

knp4597's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

hiveretcafe's review

My drive to read this book was really just to learn more about Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan and so that reflects in my experience reading this book. I didn't quite care for the plot too much and I still don't really. It was interesting to see how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's minds worked through the omniscient POV and also to see how jedi prophecies worked and stuff.

sweetsweetroad's review against another edition

adventurous informative mysterious slow-paced

benny169's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

big_lew's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful tense fast-paced

crisisaurora's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective tense medium-paced

chattyshark's review against another edition

mysterious reflective medium-paced