Matrix, by Lauren Groff

marylaura's review against another edition

for a story about a rebel lesbian nun that was kinda boring

antoniaj2514's review against another edition

Gains stars for very nice prose, a good historical setting and an attempt to say something about sex/gender roles, power and religion.

Loses two stars for the plot being ultimately dull and pointless, for including 500 side characters without developing a single one of them, and for possibly my least favourite character ever in the arrogant, deluded, hypocritical, cat kicking megalomaniac that is Marie, and her destruction of the natural world in service of her vanity and self-importance.

emudds's review against another edition

a bit too slow-paced for my liking, and the dialogue was slower and more flowery than i normally prefer (which did lend itself to a few standout passages but not enough to keep me engaged throughout the whole book). i think i like the concept more than the execution, and i really do love the setting that feels quite unique from my usual reads.

katebirdie's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced

lucybruno's review against another edition

Holy women? Heretical women? I'm not sure if I care because I think I love them either way. Especially manipulative maternal mystical Marie. Who can see a hen spreading wings over creation and call her God.

mamatotoro's review against another edition

Between the strong “not like other girls” vibes and the absolute lack of dialogue, this book just wasn’t for me.

georgiacassandra's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

sofiareads2's review against another edition

doggerina's review against another edition

This novel felt like a too long short story or a too short novel. If it was a short story that time cuts and the skipped years would have felt like a device for story telling but in a novel it felt like a lazy way of saying nothing happened that I want to write about so I'm just going to skip years, decades of time where life was dreary and repetitive or it was too complicated to write about so I'm just going to tell you it happened. How did Marie accomplish the things that were accomplished? Must have happened in those missing years of the story... I did find the device of creating her a strong, intelligent, and powerful woman in this time period to be interesting but it was a lot of telling me she accomplished things instead of showing me how she did it which made it feel like an fantasy and not a real thing that happened in her life... Was all of her accomplishment a dream? Did she just write about it and none of it was real...?

The lyrical language was beautiful and that is why I gave the novel three stars, but leaving the one thing that Marie de France is known for, her poetry and writing, as a vague and unfleshed out part of the story is a huge miss for me. From the encyclopedia Britannica: she was the "earliest known French woman poet, creator of verse narratives on romantic and magical themes that perhaps inspired the musical lais of the later trouvères, and author of Aesopic and other fables, called Ysopets."

ronald_schoedel's review against another edition

Brilliant story arc, my only wish is that some more of the details would have been provided along the way. (But I get that that’s the style of writing.)