The Absolute Book, by Elizabeth Knox

brynnnn's review against another edition

slow-paced

ed_kay's review

Couldn't get on with this at all. Writing style was clumsy so often got to the end of a paragraph or even a sentence with no real idea of what was going on. Became unbearable during the first 'action' passage of the book where Taryn is attacked outside the library. Couldn't really picture the layout of the library, the location of the 4 characters or how the fight unfolded. Then the characters find themselves in another world without much surprise, Taryn learns she's been possessed by a demon without any sense of horror (oh, it must be because I sinned!) and the author is clearly setting up the possibility of her affair with the copper, even though there is absolutely no sexual or emotional tension between them at all. Figure if it's just getting worse after 120 pages I should just cut my losses. DNF.

jaderiddles's review against another edition

I’m not sure what I just read. I have no idea what was going on at all. The ‘climax’ was very anticlimactic. I’m somebody who when I start a book, I HAVE to finish it. If it weren’t for that, I would’ve stopped reading it after 100 pages. It’s not the the book is bad, I just think I’m the wrong reader for it.

e_cobbe's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

joanne_price's review against another edition

Too complicated, too many characters, too slow.

veil0819's review against another edition

mysterious reflective slow-paced

mfichtel's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

abetterjulie's review against another edition

DNF at 49%.

The first half is intriguing and engaging.

lydiaslifeinbooks's review against another edition

I feel like I should read this book again to understand it better, but I didn't enjoy it enough to read it again...

quossie's review

DNF at around 40%. Disjointed, stilted, and impenetrable.

10/10 idea, 4/10 execution.