sosherpa1's review

emotional informative reflective medium-paced

reneetdevine's review

Listened to audiobook. Highly recommend the audiobook if you pick this one up. It's read like an interview between Bruce Perry and Oprah Winfrey. I found that style very engaging.

I was interested in this book because of the impact of trauma to many employees. I am a CFO for a staffing firm. We have many assignment employees that view employment different from my like-minded network of friends. I am intrigued with trauma's affect on everything - relationships, child rearing, work, education, conflict resolution...everything!

The premise of this book is "What happened to you?" verses "What's wrong with you?" It flies in the face of those preferring to blame the victim or those viewing difficult situations as "pull yourself up by the bootstraps and move on". I particularly appreciated this book for it's explanation as to why it's not that easy. And, even more for it's providing tips on how to interact and engage with those affected by trauma. I may just have to pick up a physical copy for reference in the future.

xashleyxvix's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

bookreadingelf's review against another edition

Interesting, but could go deeper.

aliceofbattenberg's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative medium-paced

christiecast's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

numinaluna's review

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this exceeded my expectations. I definitely cried a few times while reading, and I gained some new perspectives on therapeutic approaches to trauma.
I'm not sure this book is for everyone, but as someone working through CPTSD in various therapy modalities, this was very interesting. As a professional organizer, working with many people whose chronic disorganization may be a result of past trauma, I'm glad to have this additional tool in my toolbox.
I picked this book on a whim and a random recommendation, and I'm glad I did.

pelobookworm's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective

knitter22's review

I didn't even consider reading What Happened to You? initially because I had the distinct advantage of growing up with two parents that did their best, treated me well, and loved me. I didn't suffer from any big traumas that required healing or resilience on my part. And then one day it dawned on me (when I was wondering what might be wrong with someone) that maybe I did need to read this book, to better understand people who may have suffered trauma, abuse, and the effects it might have had upon brain development. I appreciated Dr. Perry's parts as the science was easy to understand, and the give and take between Dr. Perry and Oprah helped me to reflect and understand a little bit more. The book has at least changed my thinking so I won't wonder what is wrong with someone but will reframe the question to ask what might have happened to them instead.

charlieolivia's review

It’s not too often that I read a book and immediately think, “everyone needs to read this,” but that is exactly what happened with this one. The book combines in-depth explanations of neuroscience, psychology, and biology with Oprah’s well-known and loved interview style and personal anecdotes. I believe that everyone can profoundly benefit from this book, whether you think you’ve experienced trauma or not. With the information provided, teachers can better understand their students, medical professionals can better help their patients, parents can better raise their children, and individuals can better understand themselves. The contents of this book have the potential to move us closer to what I think is many people’s goal - more connection, more empathy, and more love for each other and ourselves. And all of those things begin with understanding.