Reviews for The Prince and the Dressmaker, by Jen Wang

morningstar916's review against another edition

This was cute as hell, and what I needed after reading so many dark or heavy books. Prince of Belgium in France loves cross dressing. It's a very happy graphic novel.

agirlsnightbookbash's review against another edition

This is an absolute treasure!!! The art is stunning as is the story. Prince Sebastian sometimes feels comfortable in his skin, sometimes he does not. At those times he feels like he should be a Princess instead. As luck would have it he comes across a dressmaker, Frances. The journey of Frances and Sebastian as they find their voices and their confidence. Absolutely phenomenal!

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

"'People's tastes can change.'
'That's what I used to tell myself, too.'"

This delightful little graphic novel is one I hadn't heard of until I started scouring the entire selection of Project LIT book choices. When Sebastian, the royal prince of Belgium, hires seamstress Frances to help him with a new project, she has more than a few questions initially. Frances quickly learns she has been hired to create dresses for Sebastian to wear in the streets of Paris where he goes by the name of Lady Crystallia. Sebastian is ashamed of his desire to wear dresses, but Frances accepts Sebastian as he is and creates some of the most beautiful dresses for him to wear out on the town. When Lady Crystallia becomes well known and recognized, Frances has to decide where and how she wants to spend her time working during the day.

This was a quick little read, but I definitely wanted a bit more of both Frances and Sebastian's story. We don't get to see very much of their backstory and I felt this may have helped explain things a little bit better. I loved the fashion show at the end and I felt this was a great way for Sebastian to be shown the love and support he should have been given right away. I do feel that although this book is technically historical fiction, the reactions/actions of some of the characters don't seem completely accurate for this time period which was a little disappointing.

This is a great book for middle and high school readers and I think it will open the door for a lot of important conversations about gender roles and the clothing we choose (and don't choose) to wear.

mysimas's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing

saragranjo's review against another edition

This graphic novel was adorable. Short but sweet. I can't find anything i disliked in it but i don't feel like it was a five stars book for me, i still strongly recommended it nonetheless.
It is amazing how the author could take an important topic that can sometimes be very heavy and make it so fairytale like.

eva_dx's review against another edition

This was a truly delightful story to read. It was really heartwarming and sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend giving this a read. I really liked the characters and the plotline. I was constantly interested in how the story would evolve. I also loved the ending! 5⭐

jayasoorya's review against another edition

Cute coming of age story.

plaguefr0st's review against another edition

This was a really cute story with great art. I love the character development and the romance that happens all at once. After I read it my mom read it and she loved it too. Defiantly will be rereading and a book I recommend for people who lean more towards graphic novels (and those who don't).

lya's review against another edition

This was so cute