Reviews for The Overnight, by R.L. Stine

roxiethebookslayer's review

Now we are cookin!
In the third story of the Fear Street series, Mr. Stine has kicked up the dark factor. In the previous stories, violent scenes were mainly past occurrences that were talked about by characters, but not current events. This one changed that.

Della, a normal teenage girl, and five friends set out to the first overnight camping adventure even after their adviser cancels on them. Everything is going normal on Fear Island until an unknown hand grabs Della which ends in her sending the assailant over the edge of the ravine. Convinced she killed this man, the six of them cover the body in leaves and strike a pact The Secret of Fear Island.

After returning home, Della begins to receive threats and is even taken on a high speed chase. When The Outdoor Club figures out they left vital evidence behind with the body, they go back to Fear Island (with their adviser this time). Not much time passes before violence occurs again and the truth about the mysterious guy is figured out.

This story is fast paced and kept me hooked. I enjoyed reading it and will probably revisit it in the future.

jljaina's review

3 1/2 stars

li3an1na4's review

A camping trip gone awry. How ridiculously stupid do you have to be to plan any sort of camping trip on any part of Fear ___? The outdoor aspect was good and the story was decent until it fell apart at the end.

Pete drove a Subaru so automatically best car of the series.

superspecs's review

3.5 out of 5 zap guns

I can't decide if the moral of this story is don't leave your zap gun near a dead body, always check to make sure you actually killed someone before covering them in leaves, or just don't go camping. Either way, I Della and her friends are probably wondering if there are any open spots on the chess team. Nothing bad every happens to those guys.