Call Me By Your Name, by André Aciman

dearbhlanoonan's review

This book gave me the ick in so many ways. I know everybody talks about the peach scene, it's almost infamous at this point, but I was NOT expecting it to be as disgusting as it was. I have no clue what posessed André Aciman to write it, or even come up with the idea, nor do I want to know.
The peach scene is basically a scene from Call Me By Your Name where Elio, our main character and narrator, masturbates using a peach on his dick and then c*ms into the peach. When he tells Oliver, the love interest who is an ADULT, Oliver EATS the peach. Yes, he really ate the semen- peach. What the purpose of this was I do not know.
Elio also compares the peach to a rape victim after he masturbates in it.... I don't even know what to say about that. It's disgusting and insensitive. If you were a victim would you like to go into this expecting a cute LGBTQ+ love story and come out wondering why you were compared to a peach full of c*m? Mmm hmm.
Let's talk about the age gap. Oliver says multiple times that him and Elio "shouldn't be doing" what they're doing. He does it anyway, because he's immature like that.
Also during the entire span of Oliver and Elio's relationship, Elio HAD A GIRLFRIEND who he was cheating on. He even said himself that he railed Marzia, his girlfriend, in the afternoon and Oliver in the night. Asshole.
The writing was quite pretty but full of weirdly obsessive thoughts about Oliver.
I'm not even going to bring up the foot fetish. I'm scarred. (THEY HELD HANDS WITH THEIR FEET????)
This book was beautifully written but the content grossed me out. Sorry xoxo

miadotfi's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad tense slow-paced

spygrl137's review

Very good. Carefully chosen words and word play. Captures the obsessiveness of a crush very well, and the mental gymnastics that goes with it, the over-analysis. Intense book. Far more self aware than most people are when experiencing it.

grrraaaceee's review

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

cartershaylee's review

loved the last half, didn’t love the first half

malinbertelsen's review

«you are the only person I’d like to say goodbye to when I die, because only then will this thing I call my life make any sense. And if I should hear that you died, my life as I know it, the me who is speaking with you now, will cease to exist»

tanishqareads's review

emotional fast-paced

aitanam098's review against another edition

Auch me sigue doliendo ಥ_ಥ

mildy_lozza's review

I feel emotionally exhausted after reading this book. So many feelings and alternative views/thoughts. At times I almost felt like I wasn’t sure what was reality. But hey isn’t that love!

At times I was tempted to put this book down and never return to it. But I guess I really wanted to know how Elio and Oliver would get together. Dare I say it... the movie did great justice to this book.

fleetwood_whack's review