Sweetpea by C.J. Skuse

xohnnhmry's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

the_empty_bookself's review against another edition

EPIC

Such a refreshing read, no filters this woman says it as it is...she may be a serial killer but I can relate with her kill list...

1. People who don’t indicate at roundabouts
2. People who leave the toilet seat up
3. People who queue jump....

She doesn’t actually kill these people she is more of a vigilante, a murderer of those who have committed crimes, a bit of a twist on Robin Hood.

This is a book for someone who is not easily offended, it’s crude, honest and close to the line on some opinions. It had me laughing out loud with a pretty epic twist at the end, I didn’t want what happened to happen but a cliffhanger of an ending...I can’t wait for to read the next one!

violavalenza's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

jessyjessx's review against another edition

dark funny fast-paced

melissarosereads's review against another edition

It bored me, I found it a repetitive and by 50% nothing had really happened!

lostinbooklands's review against another edition

didn’t enjoy a single second of this. main character is annoying and writing is cringe. plot had potential but was executed terribly

emmaanderson's review against another edition

dark funny slow-paced

frogggirl2's review

dark funny fast-paced

This serial killer premise is unoriginal, there's too much explanation for why she is the way she is, and the narrative voice is deeply unpleasant.  The excessively short chapters, journal entry style, daily minutae, boyfriend drama, and catty tone make this feel like an evil Bridget Jones.

This book just keeps doing the same things over and over, and her narrative voice doesn't change, so it's just really tiring to read this un-pc, fat phobic, agist, condescending, judgemental POV for 450 pages.

She tells so many unnecessary lies, and it's frustratingly ludicrous that she wouldn't get called on them.  Especially when she's lying to a journalist - why make up a lie that you could easily disprove with a google search?  The book letting the character get away with this undermines the believability of the book overall.

I wanted to like this - it's occasionally funny, and she's mostly hunting rapists and pedophiles so there's a justified revenge element. Ultimately, although it was a quick, easy read, there was nothing memorable here, and it wasn't as funny as it was grating and unrealistic.

poppytop19's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

prairie_meg's review against another edition

Made it about halfway through before throwing in the towel. I think the main character was supposed to be quirky... I found her annoying as hell and the plot predictable. Not worth my time to finish.