Voyage of the Basilisk, by Marie Brennan

heather34's review

adventurous inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

lturner's review against another edition

I love the dragons, and real animals included in this. Mrs. Amherst is fantastic. I also enjoyed being able to recognize cultures described and recognize them as to their real world aquvelents.

sirana's review against another edition

The voyage part of it meanders a bit, but the worldbuilding works as usual and the humor and tone of the narrator sparkles. Also, Suhail, yay!

cbrett91's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

julia_ruth's review against another edition

Once again, a great addition to the memoirs of Lady Trent! I love this author! Keep reading her books!

book2021's review against another edition

This book was still good, but it just had a bit of a slump for me.

aliperks's review against another edition

This series has quickly become one of my favorites. The main character is feisty, fiercely independent and refuses to conform to her societies norms. She resonates closely with me, and I'm not sure if I want to be her best friend, or just be her. Her adventures are captivating and it makes me wish there were dragons in our world. A bonus is the beautiful illustrations that grace the cover and give visual rise to a few choice scenes. Overall these are a fun, and highly engaging read. Can't wait for more

usserinprise's review against another edition

Once again I am thoroughly entertained by Isabella's adventures. I simply love how fun these books are. They're great for me to read when I need something lighter to absorb in between any heavy stuff and it just makes me happy.

I really liked that we got to know young Jacob a bit more in this book and I really enjoyed the addition of Suhail. I appreciate the friendship Isabella has with him. While reading this book, I also spoke with my friend who first introduced me to the Lady Trent series and remarked on the fact that the way Marie Brennan writes Isabella is so refreshing. Given the nature of her status in life and her profession, Isabella is never really one to judge others and just accepts that she will encounter people and cultures far different from her own, and all she wants is to understand. I really appreciate that and I appreciate how matter of fact Isabella is about it all.

j_o's review against another edition

(3.5)

naturalistnatalie's review against another edition

I'm still enjoying this series and I find each of the books provokes a similar response from me. This book reminds me a lot of Charles Darwin's voyage on the Beagle. Isabella is off to tropical areas in the hopes of getting some good research material on dragons. She just wants to figure out how all the different forms are related. With all her traveling, she has to try very hard to avoid breaking cultural mores. Her most difficult time was on Keonga where she had to pretend her son wasn't hers so she would be treated as a man instead of a woman (after dressing and acting like a man). She even had to marry a native woman so the spirits would be pacified.

Scirling so feels like Victorian England, down to the scandal sheets and trying to retain "proper" relationships with the men on the ship. The author even made the chapter titles feel like a 19th memoir. Because it felt like 19th century England, I get annoyed with the change of place names. I'm constantly trying to map Brennan's place names onto our world. (For example, I consider Scirling to be England, and the Broken Sea is Oceania.) Since the world of this book isn't exactly like our real world, then give me a map so I can place all these countries and stop trying to map them onto our world.