A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki

opal311's review against another edition

A 4* rating for the parts set in Japan; a 2* rating for the parts set in Canada.

*Interesting to pair this with [b:Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye: A Journey|25622753|Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye A Journey|Marie Mutsuki Mockett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1442620244s/25622753.jpg|41629737]

buscemisgrl's review against another edition

Beautiful, relevant, and poignant. This novel took me on a much needed journey.

tpantozzi's review against another edition

Too slow. Felt like a textbook in disguise as a story.

atreyomitra's review against another edition

dark sad medium-paced

0.5

danielabhuffman's review against another edition

dark funny reflective medium-paced

rowenawilldisenchantyou's review against another edition

This is cool original. I loved Nao's voice, I loved the concept, I loved the thematic of time and diary and tsunami, I loved it all. It's so chic. It tackles suicide quite well too. I LOVE THIS BOOK with a soft heart.

embuhleeliest's review against another edition

3.5 stars

kidhood's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective slow-paced

so true miss ozeki re: being a writer who doesn't write 🥲 it kind of lost me on the end with quantum theories and schrodingers cat but i think i vaguely get it? in general, i'm really impressed by how ozeki writes heavy topics in a way that isn't sensationalized nor overtly sentimental, gesturing at possibilities but ultimately leaving space for the reader. the writer/audience meta on top of that goes crasy....nao's voice in particular is so startlingly frank and striking, i took an immediate like to the book from the first page. i definitely need to reread this in a hard copy in the future to really process it

mayagracebailey's review against another edition

i really loved the writing style of this book it was super beautiful! my only complaints are that the plot moved very slowly through most of the book and then it got kinda confusing at the end but in a good way? anyway i would def recommend this because of how beautiful it was and would give it 4.25 stars if i could !

readingwithbecs's review against another edition

This was an interesting book. At some times I had a hard time getting trough it, because nothing exciting really happened, and at other times I just couldn't put it down. It ended up being a average read, but I'm glad I read it.