Hard Line, by Sidney Bell

shelbanuadh's review

This book was a very pleasant surprise. I hated the first book, the only thing I liked about it was Ghost. I wasn't even overly thrilled about reading this one, seeing as what little we saw of Tobias in the first book didn't do much to make him see interesting.

I loved everything about this book. Tobias turns out to be quite the onion and I find him to be just as intriguing as Ghost. I like Sullivan. Church is only involved in this book through texts, which is great, as I don't like him. We get to see a little more of Ghost, which is another plus. I really liked the plot and the little plot twist with K.

I can't say that I'm a fan of BDSM, but like with all things, as long as it's well written, I can read and enjoy anything. The scenes were good, things were talked out, there wasn't just a bunch of smut injected for the sake of smut. I love our little harlot.

I was super bummed that I wasted my money on a physical copy of the first book and decided to just go digital with the rest of the series, but before I even finished reading this, I already went ahead and ordered the paperbacks for this book, as well as the third book.

I'm so pleased that this book didn't go down the same as the first book. Sidney Bell's Bad Judgement was such a good experience for me and Loose Cannon was such a bad one that I was worried that Bad Judgement had been a fluke and that Loose Cannon was going to be the norm. Thankfully, with this book, my faith has been restored and Sidney Bell has cemented her place on my To-Read list.

jesueicnelis's review

tense

jennyjc's review

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

jce's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I liked the first book in this series, but I loved this one. Impossible to put down. I do love angst and I can never resist the "love interest in peril" trope and this does both so well. Lots of exploring complicated emotions. Really emotional, really hot sex scenes. Heartbreaking and hopeful. All the stuff I adore, basically, and done so well. I started reading this through Hoopla but bought it halfway because I knew I'd want to read it again and wanted to be able to bookmark. So so good.

tinkgumby's review

This was amazing!

This author has seriously impacted my productivity this week, since I can’t put her books down. Her characters are so complex - flawed and real and lovable. The BDSM elements in this one were SO well done. The buildup over this and the last book has me very anxious for Ghost’s story!

cadiva's review

Well that didn't go where I'd expected it to but it was still an utterly thrilling ride.

A complex plot brings misfit Tobias into the orbit of PI Sullivan and the narrative took off with a bang.

I must commend the author here for the clever way this book incorporated the mystery and suspense elements from book one but in such a radically different direction, I don't think anyone would have guessed it.

I also think she did an incredible job in showing just why Tobias was so willing to submit and why he needed to be used in the way Sullivan wanted him.

This type of kink isn't even remotely in my wheelhouse but I understood totally Tobias' absolute desire for the pain and the complete trust he gave over when doing so.

Sullivan took a while to let his feelings slip through his rigid control, but once they did, his personality made so much sense.

And enigmatic Ghost is even more mysterious here than in book one and I honestly have no clue how this plot line is going to be wrapped up in his book but I can't wait to find out.

golem's review

Well-written, well-plotted suspense + (very hot) queer BDSM romance. Not a queer author but she knows her kink, or at least has researched it really, really well. Contains major spoilers for the (weaker) first book, so you might as well read that one first.

(But also--let's permanently kill the trope of "If [competent woman #1 and competent woman #2] got together, they could take over the world!" No. This is not feminist.)

mj_'s review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

Slow start; glad didn't stop reading

terriaminute's review

Wow. Typically the middle book in a trilogy is the weaker one, but that is not so for Hard Line.

Church's story was intense and harrowing. But Tobias's, while no less complex while furthering the plot, has a core of intrinsic good that left me deeply happy for him and Sullivan. If you had trouble enduring with Church, Tobias is a balm.

I am hungry for book 3, wildly curious about what happens for Ghost.

amyaislin's review

Loved this book. Sullivan and Tobias were so complimentary. I won't speak to the BDSM angle of this story--I don't know enough about it to tell if the way it was done in this novel was right or wrong. But it seemed to work well for Sullivan and Tobias's relationship.

I wasn't a fan of the blackmail aspect of this book, but Tobias's characterization is so well done that you can't help being on his side even though he's blackmailing someone. I liked how smart Sullivan was, I liked how Tobias wasn't so stubborn that he couldn't admit his mistakes. Everything just worked so well in this book, from the various plot threads to the 3-dimensional characters to the BDSM to the secondary cast of characters. It all came together so smoothly and fluidly.

Great writing, and highly recommended.