nicoleman65's review

dark emotional reflective tense fast-paced

skolastic's review

Another ho-hum "let's pile on all the Batman villains" story.

literaryillusions's review

I adored this. I think it is some of my favorite Batman ever.

rabbithero's review

Ugh.

Tom King really wants to be Alan Moore. And while I despise Alan Moore, at least when gets deep and philosophical, when his big reveal makes itself known, at least its coherent, and made transparent with expressive, clear dialogue.

These comics are... bloated. Pompous. Just like Alan Moore. Dour, just like Alan Moore, and both obsessed with their own cleverness. But King's work is superficially deep, using its bloated, dour tone to trick you into thinking there's actual content. Moore, at least, actually understands philosophy well enough to deploy it properly.

King is all window dressing.

booknooknoggin's review

I think King wanted this to be over the top epic, but it just read as really average for me. I mean how much can you really draw out a story centered on two villains pitted against each other before it gets old. Especially the whole dinner scene that was really meh.

saphirablue's review

Hmm, that wasn't my cup of tea. :/

Batman working with the Riddler in order to bring down the Joker? Almost killing the Riddler? No, not my cup of tea.

I liked however the way the story is told - Bruce telling Selina.

Also, I really liked the art.

ofmiceandmenudo's review

A war between Batman supervillains lead by opposing villains Joker and Riddler?! The Joker has lost his ability to laugh and the only way to restore it is to kill Batman? Bruce Wayne holds a dinner party for all of Gotham's villains?! Love it! So far this is my favorite in the Rebirth run. Tom King has proven he is a perfect fit for the Batman universe and I love what he's adding to the Batman legacy.

sans's review

If this volume did one thing, it’s that I now understand and kinda appreciate Kite Man.

A second thing it did was make me vaguely nauseated every time Riddler walked onto a page with his damn shirt undone.

grilledcheesesamurai's review

I'm not following this Rebirth title. Actually, I'm not following any of the Rebirth titles, but I watched this review of The War of Jokes and Riddles on Youtube the other week and the dude did a good job of convincing me to check it out. So I went out and picked up the run. I liked the covers and the art immediately worked for me, all 8 issues have some AWESOME 2-page spreads that make for spectacular eye candy!

Tom King was the other thing that sold me. I am currently enjoying his Mister Miracle series and loved what he did with Vision over at Marvel. I'm happy to say that his work here, with Batman, The Joker, and The Riddler, lived up to my expectations. Each issue in this arc got a legitimate audible reaction out of me, be it a whistle at some cool fight scene, or a, "WOW," at one of the art spreads - or even a grunt at something from the narrative. What I mean to say is, I reacted to this story as I read it. It caused...feeling.

And that's what its all about, isn't it?

Also...its just a helluva good time reading about Batman, The Joker, and the Riddler beating the shit outta one another.

So, fuck yeah, for The War of Jokes and Riddles! Is it an instant classic as some are claiming it to be? I dunno. That shits above my pay grade. All I know is it was a damn good story and that the TPB comes out next month (Dec. 19th) and if you haven't yet read it, well shit...now is your chance!