Reviews tagging Homophobia

Love in the Big City, by Sang Young Park

aidrielle's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

so good, and groundbreaking, really. some parts in the middle meandered a bit, but still overall a good read. the first part is the most captivating story i've read lately

sspaghettiboness's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

This book was nothing like what I was expecting. With a title like Love In The Big City, I foolishly thought this would be a lighthearted piece about the trials and tribulations of finding your person. Instead, this novel felt like it zeroed in on the spaces in between love. The spaces the author exists in. I felt a deep connection to that idea. A lot of the inner monologue examined the other emotions that swirl around love - anger, jealousy, and profound sadness. It was very relatable and personable.

The only reason I’m not marking it higher is because this isn’t something I would normally go for and it didn’t wow me, but maybe that’s because it felt so honest and true that there was no wow factor. This story is a relatable one for, I think, many millennials or young adults seeking something we’ve been taught we must seek, and instead finding disaffection.

khakipantsofsex's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

yellowatelier's review

dark funny lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

yuna's review against another edition

dark sad medium-paced

claudiamacpherson's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

ameliafr's review

dark funny hopeful medium-paced

I’m so impressed by the way this book depicts the complexity of relationships. The narrator’s relationships with his college best friend, his mother, and his boyfriends are vivid and nuanced; each feels honest and true to life and it is only now, writing this review, that I realize how well this book’s title applies to each of them.

Despite its title and its depiction of multiple romantic relationships, “Love in The Big City” is not a romantic book. Instead of mood lighting, it shines a bright, unsparing beam on each of its characters, illuminating their contradictions, virtues, and flaws. The narrator navigates his relationships with both a tendency towards “excessive” self-awareness, yet he is repeatedly thwarted by unanticipated self-destruction.
Spoiler This self-destructive impulse causes only a few of the novel’s tragedies. The rest are mundane, painful and painfully familiar. These moments of heartbreak - growing apart from a friend, saying something and regretting it, not saying and regretting it - are at once trivial and devastating.

At times, “Love in The Big City” is very funny, but this humor is always dark, with a bitter aftertaste. Despite this, “Love in The Big City” is neither hopeless nor depressing. The narrator introspects and improves. His thoughtfulness and wit carry both him and the reader through moments of joy, loneliness, grief, hope, and love. Originally, I planned to give this book 4.5 stars, but while writing its review I’ve realized how many of its scenes continue to replay in my mind.  For lack of a better word, “Love in The Big City” is so deeply human. This is inherently dissatisfying. It’s also inherently validating, profound, and moving.

afion's review against another edition

rhysecakes's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective tense slow-paced

lwalla01's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

This was really interesting. Long listed for the Man Booker International Prize in 2022, I think this has a really entertaining and marketable feel for a wide audience. Each section of this book has a really different feel as you go through the protagonist’s life. It almost feels as if it’s written about or by different people. The subject matter varies from the lighthearted to really dark. It was an enjoyable read.