Ithaca by Claire North

ingridholth's review against another edition

Writing was sooo confusing. I would constantly be reading a chapter and instantly not remember what I just read. Hard to follow who was who and who was speaking. Got better towards the end but a very weak start.

wazwimo's review

emotional informative slow-paced

chigby22's review

challenging reflective medium-paced

Clare North is a strong writer, but she uses a narrative technique I don’t really appreciate because the voice of the narrator is so strong. Also some knowledge of Greek mythology makes this a much more enjoyable story.

bibidanslalune's review against another edition

challenging dark tense fast-paced

thelibraryofklee's review

"Follow me through the halls of the palace of Odysseus; follow to hear the stories that the men-poets of the greedy kings do not tell."

This is the story of Penelope of Ithaca, famed wife of Odysseus, as it has never been told before. Pirate invasions, pining men who dream of a crown on their head, a son who doesn't want to live in the shadow of his father, family hunting for her murderous cousin - Penelope, Queen of Ithaca, has quite the full proverbial plate and must walk a fine line - she must endure the expectations of her gender, but use her cunning to keep her island home and people safe.

With Hera as the witty narrator, this marvelous Greek myth retelling / reimagining highlights a woman (and her women) originally relegated to the margins of history. While poor (dripping with sarcasm) Odysseus is trapped on an island in a love fest with Calypso, Penelope must use all her wits to juggle the many complex issues she faces as a woman who is not meant to be ruling in her husbands stead. My only original hindrance to absolute adoration was the use of contemporary phrasings, but upon accepting this, the gorgeous prose took me to a world long past. This novel was well paced and even had me crying ("Be brave, my king" ooofff). I will be eagerly awaiting the next in this series.

“Behold me, daughter,” I whisper, voice of running water, hair of dancing flame. “Teach my women to fight."

bookishbehaviours's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative slow-paced

ninakay's review

tense slow-paced

vita_s_west's review

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

neveatkinson25's review

adventurous challenging dark funny informative inspiring mysterious medium-paced

chocobun's review against another edition

emotional tense slow-paced