lgbtrepinbooks's review

*As is the nature of a memoir, many topics are discussed and could be considered trigger warnings for many people.*

Trigger Warnings: Christianity, homophobia, christian shame/guilt, toxic relationship, control/manipulation, threats of suicide/blackmail, counseling, coming out, drinking, drugs, jail, sex, Gay conversion therapy

Representation: Lesbian, Bisexual, Christian, Canadian, Gay

Still Stace is an illustrated memoir about Stace’s journey growing up as a Christian, while also being gay. Raised in the church, Stacey loves God, her church, her church friends, and bible camp. This is thrown for a loop one summer while at camp, she meets a girl who makes her heart sing. This sparks a decade long journey of self discovery and how to feel at peace with her identity and spirituality.

This audio ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this memoir! I may be biased based on my religious upbringing but I thought this was an excellent look into what it is like to be raised in the church but also gay. I thought the writing was clear and well organized. I loved the honesty and truthfulness from the author. I loved how Stacey put her entire heart on her sleeve and was willing to be so vulnerable for her readers. I thought this was incredibly brave and made her journey so much more relatable. While I read, I was hoping for the author to identify when they were the problem more but I think that capability comes from a place of privilege and reflection, which is unfair to assume.

I felt Stacey did a wonderful job on the audiobook. Her reading was clear and smooth. She also brought true emotions to the story. Overall, a fantastic book that religious, ex-religious, and non-religious readers alike should read!

cmstein's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

cj_heid's review against another edition

From the initial description of this memoir, heck, even the full title, I knew this was going to hit hard. I didn’t expect however to be crying listening to the initial dedication to Stace’s younger-self. I felt wholly seen and understood from the beginning, and continued to through out the story. Even though my own story happened differently than hers I felt like I was reading my own thoughts trying to balance inner-truth and scripture against what the church tried to teach. I could feel the all too relatable fear of your parent’s feelings and expectations. It was liberating to hear another person’s story, especially with an ending so happy. Listening to the author narrating her own story in the audiobook made it almost feel like she were telling me this story over coffee. Additionally, I didn’t realize when I requested the audiobook that this was an illustrated memoir, so afterwards I borrowed a copy from my library to flip through the pictures, and the art is also beautifully done.

thank you to Beaming Books and NetGalley for providing me access to the audiobook ARC of this title.

bfenderson's review

Beautiful story, I just struggled with the writing.

hadestbr's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

alyssamayreads's review against another edition

I think if you are gay and looking to continue being religious, this book could be for you. As a queer person who grew up atheist, this book wasn’t for me. Ninety percent of the book is about the deep guilt and shame of being gay, dealing with the problem of being attracted to women, the author being awful to her women partners by dragging them into the religious trauma fest etc. Then the happy ending was just a blip in the road after the author figures out God is okay with her being gay.

makeminemonsters's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced

mattgroot1980's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

sofiaslibraryy's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

booksandblush's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced