The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson

slinkydog's review against another edition

Here's the dealio. I do think this is an excellent book with a very interesting premise. The story is great. Most of the characters are great. I did the audiobook and Michael Kramer is a killer narrator. Perfection on that end.

However (and here's where we kinda enter spoiler territory), I have some problems with the main character. Even though Vin is kind of a badass, I don't think that she is given as much agency as she should be given. Additionally, there are very few female characters in this book - and she is the only likeable, "good" one. I do admit that knowing the author is Mormon makes me view this book in a certain way, since that religion (cult) is inherently sexist in its beliefs.

I do like the book but I have a decent amount of criticism for it.

milojean_reads's review against another edition

So this is actually my second read of this book and it really was amazing. There’s a reason people are always recommending Sanderson. Awesome magic system, complex characters, great writing… what more could you want?

Can’t wait to finish out this series this year!

diana00's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring medium-paced

thechiaraface's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

shinra04's review against another edition

this is exactly what i want when i'm looking for a good ol fantasy story, that still has some pretty amazing tricks up its sleeve. it's a really solid story with great character building and an interesting magic system. easily a 5/5

bookworm_with_a_sword's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

tomoka's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

ros_lanta's review against another edition

This is a hard book to rate because I ended up absolutely loving it, but it took a long time to get there. I struggled with the first 150 pages or so, and if the book had not been written by one of my favourite authors I honestly might have put it down and never picked it up again. However after that point I slowly started to enjoy the story and by halfway through I was totally invested in the plot and characters. The final third was five star worthy.

I know so many people who recommended Mistborn as a place to start with Sanderson, and I'm so grateful that I ignored them back in 2020 and picked up Warbreaker instead (and then worked through a ton of his other books in 2021). I'm really looking forward to reading The Well of Ascension.

muckraker's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

nikki_shelfindulgence's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced