Ruin and Rising, by Leigh Bardugo

rileyy82's review against another edition

my heart!!!!

omg!!!!! i cannot believe this story is over

winonamoon123's review against another edition

I literally just put this book down 15 minutes ago. It was by far my favorite in the trilogy. I couldn’t put it down. It was defiantly a page turner for sure. My heart still grew for the characters (new and old) and honestly i didnt really want it to end. 5 stars from me.

karina_salas's review against another edition

This book was definitely faster pace than the second yet at the same time it almost felt anticlimactic. I know the Darkling is not a good person but I still love him. I didn’t dislike Mal as much as I did in the second book, and I was content with the end of the series and the overall wrap up. Nothing too crazy but fulfilling for sure.

catherinemarie's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

malvk's review against another edition

This is more so my review for the entire series which do improve as the books went along. I truly enjoyed being brought into this universe and staying for Alina’s struggles and journey beyond. There was so much that went into building the history to play it out in the present and that is a skill in itself. This book made me fall in love with some characters and even root for the bad guy at sometimes. I never truly knew where I stood with this series or with the main character. What I do know is the strengths in this book are all about the plot twist especially the Nikolai twist during the last book. The twists made sure this was never a boring ride for me and kept me on my toes. The one thing I could have done without was the romance that was fleeting at best. Alina never truly loved one person as she was still tempted easily, and to be honest she and Mal had gone through so much I started seeing him as just a friend. I am excited to see the Netflix series when it comes together and can’t wait to move forward with Six of Crows.

natslibrary's review against another edition

I'm going to be honest the first like 20% of the book was boring but the rest of it was pure perfection. I absolutely loved every second of it. The plot twist that came with the amplifier, the history behind the darkling's family, what happened with Nikolai. It was all so freaking good. And I'm going to be honest I'm probably one of those few people that actually liked Mal and I liked the ending. I felt like it was what needed to be done. The world needed balance and that's exactly what it got in the end. I'm just a little bit disappointed with the final battle between the darkling and Alina. I just expected more of a physical fight in the end but it was okay I guess. Overall though this was a great and to this trilogy and I definitely recommend reading this even though the pace can be a bit challenging at times it was totally worth it.

kkaylaj09's review against another edition

I think this was the perfect way to end the series. Alina’s power-hungry ways come to a head as she searches for the third amplifier and I LOVED that the twist of it being Mal. Alina’s story could not have ended better, as she chose peace over power in the end and got to keep Mal at her side. And you know what? She deserves it, after saving her country and being paraded around as a saint.

bookswithagemini's review against another edition

Not gonna lie... I kinda LOVED this book. It would have been a 5 star read for me but the ending was just MEH. I feel like so many different approaches could have happened to make it more satisfying.

Also I loved the side characters more than the main. Don’t get me wrong Alina’s character and personality definitely improved throughout the series, but I was just more invested in characters like Nikolai, Zoya, the twins, etc.

Also deaths... you didn’t even realize someone died until it was casually mentioned or it felt rushed.

ANYWAYS, honestly this was a solid series. Not the most amazing, but it definitely sets up an interesting world and magic system that I really loved.

Also I shipped Alina with everyone besides Mal. He wasn’t a bad character, I just felt like she had a greater destiny than him, but a girl can dream

Daddy Darkling will always be in my heart ❤️

Now let’s see if Six of Crows lives up to its hype

thedoodleduck's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny inspiring sad fast-paced

zonlotte's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced