Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn

shepherald's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

mdedloff's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

gillianalice's review against another edition

This book was a bit slow up until the end. Gillian Flynn is really good at writing fucked up characters, and she had a plethora of them in this story. However, there wasn't much of a plot other than learning about the main character's mental issues and how they affect her now. The descriptions were fantastic, but I realized about halfway through that there wasn't a real suspect for the murders, and Camille wasn't doing much reporting.

That being said, the ending reached out and bitch slapped me. It fucked me up. I think it made the whole book worth it, honestly.

waclements7's review against another edition

Wow. There is just so much to dislike and I'm only 7% in. Weird sexual comments that just aren't necessary. Weird descriptions--a six year old boy who's a disappointment because ? The writing seems like it's trying to be gritty but is just the sort that leaves a nasty taste in your brain.

nasiatyson's review against another edition

I developed a bond with the narrator Camille because I loved the way she thought about everything going on in her life, she is a reporter but also a woman who went through emotional and physical trauma that causes her to analyze everything. I enjoyed hearing the description of the town and the people in it because it reminds me of the town I grow up in. Though I liked the book, for me the plot twist at the end was predictable.

chavelavragas's review against another edition

"Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed."

creo que la traduccion española le ha quitado bastante brillo a la historia pero no tenia la cabeza pa leer en ingles dios me perdone. me sobra heterosexualidad y me sobran explicaciones, algunas cosas felt forced y hacia el final lo sentí overexplained de una forma que me sacaba de la atmosfera confusa que tenia la historia hasta ese momento y que creo q la caracterizaba??? anyway.. women in pain y women causing terrible pain.. am i right

itsdanixx's review against another edition

Sharp objects is about a rather messed up 30-something year female journalist, Camille, returning to her hometown, and her even more messed up mother and half-sister, in order to report on a story about little girls getting murdered. Camille also happens to be a recently-recovering cutter/self-harmer.

I liked this book, though I didn't LOVE It. I think you can probably tell this is Gillian Flynns first novel, but it's still very good for a first novel.

The story was... interesting. There is a mystery that keeps on keeping you guessing, which I like a lot in a book Although I did think I knew who did it a while before it was revealed, there kept being little things thrown in that had me constantly second guessing myself.

As mentioned above, pretty much all the characters in this book are just really, really messed up mentally (and in Camilles case, also physically). It's kind of unnerving/disturbing actually. It's not a 'happy' read and pretty much just gets more miserable as it goes a long. I for one do tend to like books with messed up themes and bleak outlooks, but if that's not your cup of tea then avoid this book.

Its not too graphic when it comes to blood, violence, sex etc, just enough so that you get a clear picture in your head of what's happening.

My only little issues are A) that the plot itself wasn't that large a part of the book, there was mostly a lot of... let's say self/soul-searching and family bonding/learning, for lack of better words right now. And B) that I did find at least some of it a little unbelievable... I was into the book and the characters well enough, but when coming back to the real world I just couldn't see these people existing in the real world, this whole town existing in the real world.

Best point I guess is that I wanted to keep reading throughout the whole book, and I enjoyed reading it. It has stuck with me for a little while after finishing, as in I still find myself thinking about it at random moments, though not as much as some other books have.

bailey_chambers's review against another edition

It was fine, enjoyable but predictable. I didn’t care for the relationships, I don’t think they added anything and I was just annoyed with Camille. She was so clueless.

sophael's review against another edition

i didnt absolutely love it, but i didnt hate it. i liked it, alot. it was a great read. gillian flynn just knows how to creep you out!!!

kristendanise's review against another edition

2.5 stars... I know this was her debut but, the story was hard to follow in some parts. There could have been so much more suspense, especially knowing how it ended. I did like the ending. Threw me a curve ball I didn’t see coming but I could predict the ending for the most part even before I got half way through it.

Looking forward to comparing the show to the book next!