Citadel by Kate Mosse

gwalt118's review against another edition

I loved Labyrinth and Sepulchre. Citadel was good, but not nearly as great as the first two in this trilogy. The first 1/3 and the last 1/3 of this book were wonderful, but the middle 1/3 -- yikes, it was a slow read. The middle of this book was extremely descriptive, to a fault. I was just waiting for some action! I flew through the last 150(ish) pages, once the action picked up. This book was still good, and I would recommend it to those interested in historical fiction. However, it was definitely not Kate Mosse's best work.

kebmonty's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

retrana2011's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

bigbizliz1991's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful sad tense slow-paced

jholloed's review against another edition

Not nearly as good as the others, certainly not enough to stand on its own, it seems an odd sort of conclusion for the series. The epilogue does wrap in previous books, but not well. Personally, I could have done without the dark ages story line, it didn't contribute much and just broke up the main story line and delayed getting back to the strong main story with the resistance fighters. The story line in world war 2 was superb, driven well, with a strong action element, and a love story that read true to the end. Glad I finished the series, but it seems an unnecessarily long read. Would hesitate to read again from this author

shelitelschow's review against another edition

This book was soooo long. And then the ending pissed me off. The previous two books were much better.

juhpiter_'s review

adventurous challenging dark hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

mlgallegos's review against another edition

The end of this one sucker punched me. It felt slower than Labyrinth and Sepulchre - maybe because I couldn't devote the time to finish it in one fell swoop this time, though - but the journey felt more complete.

It was a little frustrating, however, because Labyrinth takes place after Citadel, despite being the first book in the series. It felt like this was the finale, despite knowing Audric wouldn't see the end of his story for another sixty years.

Side note - I love the continuation of the Alice/William pairs throughout the stories. Elise and Guillame, Alice and William, Alais and Guilhelm. It was a neat detail that I enjoyed finding.

leavingsealevel's review against another edition

Another historically inaccurate novel about strong women standing up to Nazis. This seems to be my thing at the moment. Apparently Citadel is the third book in a series...this dawned upon me about 100 pages in when all of a sudden strange supernatural spiritual things started happening. Without having read books 1 and 2, there was a whole plot line that I didn't really get. Luckily, the book is about 100000 pages long so even without that plot line I was reasonably entertained.

rioyoung's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful sad tense medium-paced