The Last Thing He Told Me, by Laura Dave

edzee_lcnm's review against another edition

First off, thank you to Simon & Schuster for the Advanced Reader's Copy of this book -- tho not sure can really call it "advanced" since I won it here on Goodreads after its publication date. It was my 3rd Goodreads Giveaway win (currently at a 2.2% "win" rate). So far, I've won one book for each of these past three years, so hoping the trend ends in 2021 and squeak out another book win. :-)

Onto the book! I've made an effort this year to give get out of my usual "literary fiction" lane and read more light and entertaining fiction (especially during the summer - 'beach reads' per se, even tho I am not even remotely close to a beach or water for that matter). In my younger years, I read a steady diet of these type of mystery/thriller-type books ... and they are certainly easy to devour, and that was certainly the case here with Laura Dave's "The Last Thing He Told Me." I am not sure I've read a book faster than this one this year. And it's probably good to have read it fast, as I am sure it really wouldn't hold up to much plot or "reality" scrutiny. I just felt some (most!) of the "detective" work that main character does here and ultimately uncovers was not something the average person could do, particularly in the situation here (husband mysteriously disappearing and leaving you with your onery stepchild.

I know, I know... you have to suspend some disbelief, but given my small sample size of dipping back into this genre this year I just hoped for a little more realism. Maybe my advanced age is making me more cranky about wanting just a little more out of these books. But then there's the not totally satisfactory ending which leaves the reader with more "what about this? what about that?" questions. And oh, don't be fooled by the Sausalito-centric cover, most of the action doesn't even take place there!

3 stars, for liking it enough and for it being what I think it was exactly supposed to be -- a fairly generic mystery/thriller book that has already been optioned to be turned into a perfectly mindless mystery/thriller movie with a likeable leading lady (back in the day, seems like it would have been almost custom-made for Sandra Bullock... speaking of which, where has she gone?) and probably make a lot of money for all involved.

inciminci's review against another edition

I picked this one up because it is the best Goodreads mystery/thriller of the year and I’m now slightly disappointed, because it’s no really a thriller but a kind of family drama more like.

Hannah’s door knocks one day and it’s a little girl giving her a note written by her husband saying only “protect her”, meaning Hannah’s 16-year-old stepdaughter Bailey. No need to say he has disappeared and leaves the two women behind, tackling huge question marks which lead them to investigate who exactly Owen is/was.

The first part of the book is breathlessly readable. I loved the main character and the grumpy teenager, so the development of their relationship throughout their adventure kept me turning the pages. BUT when the facts of Owen’s life before Hannah start unraveling the story stopped interesting me abruptly and had me scrunch my nose in incredulity over Owen’s actions. This whole situation and drama didn’t even need to be and felt forced. The suspension of disbelief is strong with this one, but the first part was nice.

katejbu's review against another edition

3.5*

k_kamio's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

rottsnroll's review against another edition

Fun domestic suspense that is easy to soak up in a weekend

kevinhaggerty's review against another edition

Ughhhhhhhhh. Poorly written prose featuring extremely bland characters with a plotline that was random to the point of being uninteresting. Laura Dave does a good job at building suspense, so she gets a star for that, and it was a fast-paced read, so I'll add a bit more love there, but I was disappointed on all other fronts. Rounding up to 2 stars.

allycmiller's review against another edition

emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

i liked this book it was very tense and mysterious and i liked the way the mystery slowly unfolded and plot points were revealed

tamilha_otg's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

runani15's review against another edition

This plot was so fun! I also appreciated that the character development and dialogue was richer than most mystery/thrillers. I loved the relationship that developed between Hannah and Bailey. And that Hannah learned to trust her gut to keep Bailey safe. She was so maternal despite only being in Baileys life for a couple of years. Her being so aware and understanding of baileys needs and never having “a catch” made me melt. This is how I’m trying to raise my kids and to see a stepmom doing these things makes me so happy. More representation of healthy parents in books! This was great.

tiwannia's review against another edition

Loved it. Was a quick read and easy to follow the progression