Round, by Taeeun Yoo, Joyce Sidman

annsantori's review against another edition

Yoo's illustrations are breathtaking (if I ever found a cheap copy of this book, I would even dare to cut them apart for framing!). The female protagonist explores the world around her and how many round things she can spot (water ripples, turtle eggs, mushroom caps, etc.). Sidman's prose is literary without being age-inappropriate and sprinkled with a robust vocabulary (turns of phrases like "swell into roundness" and "my hands want to reach around their curves" are just spine-tingling in the best possible way). The author's note at the end adds more to the STEAM component of the book -- with explanations of why so many things can be found in nature that are round.

raoionna's review against another edition

Nice marriage of text and illustrations in this younger reader's exploration of the circle in nature.

mlettus's review against another edition

I really enjoyed the illustrations, but the text would be to much for my pre-k group.

amageske's review against another edition

“I love to watch round things move. They are so good at it!”

mollydettmann's review against another edition

3.5. I simple read about a child's perspective of all things round. I think this could make a fun sensory story time read where various aspects could be turned into activities after finishing the story. The illustrations were simple and sweet.

starnosedmole's review against another edition

A young girl explores round objects in this quiet, beautiful picture book.

jmshirtz's review against another edition

A very nice picture book, I just didn't connect with it personally.

tashrow's review

This simple picture book looks at things in life that are round. A little girl explores her world, seeing all of the things that are round. It is much more than a list of round items, speaking to the joy of round things, the feel of them in the hand, and the way that they appear again and again particularly in nature. There is the roundness of seeds, the round center of flowers, the round circles inside of trees, and the rounded stones in the ocean. Throughout the book, the little girl experiences each of these and finds that she too can become round sometimes with friends and sometimes all on her own.

Sidman captures the joy of experiencing nature and discovering shapes there. This book is specifically about circles and rounded shapes, making it very appropriate for toddlers who are just learning about shapes. The text is simple and friendly, inviting youngsters to find round things in their own world. Text at the end of the book speaks to why we see so many round things in nature.

The illustrations by Yoo add to the feeling of being invited along on a journey of discovery outdoors. Yoo’s illustrations show the little girl, her dog and her father exploring together. Yoo lets readers see up close when appropriate and then back away to show large expanses when that works best.

A simple look at circles in nature, this picture book is a great invitation to head outside and find your own shapes. Appropriate for ages 2-4.

luann's review

You wouldn't think a picture book about round things could be profound, but Joyce Sidman does it easily. I especially liked the extra information she gives in the back explaining why round things are so often found in nature.

Taeeun Yoo tells a bonus story in the illustrations. You could read this as a wordless book, ignore the words completely, and still come away with a really nice story. With the words and the illustrations combined, there is something really meaningful here.