Detransition, Baby, by Torrey Peters

bartsimpsky's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

what a wonderful book. The ending left me feeling the same kind of mix of hope and fear that the characters experience throughout the story. despite the challenging and occassionally graphic themes of the book it somehow still succeeds in being something of a feel-good story

chelsaat's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

Mixed thoughts on this one! I really liked seeing this glimpse of life in the trans community, and felt like I learned a lot. Ames in particular is a heartbreaking character that I really sympathized with.

However, this was a much slower read for me than I was anticipating. Parts of this were super overwritten, where at times I felt like I was reading an op-ed about gender studies instead of a piece of narrative fiction.

Reese in particular bugged me, I think partially on purpose. Especially when it came to her relationships with men. “Every woman adores a fascist.” What??? It came across to me that she thought women are always destined to be victims and therefore craved that in her relationships.

The reasons she gave for wanting a baby also bugged. She essentially says that she is owed one because she's a woman. Katrina does try to push back, saying not all women with uteruses can have children either, but I didn't get the sense that Reese really internalized this. In fact none of the characters really grow or change outside of their flashbacks.

I really wanted these three to work it out, to prove that different kinds of families can exist. And the ending is ambiguous enough that MAYBE this can still happen. But idk. They’re all kind of a mess still so they probably shouldn’t have a baby, lol.

It did give me a lot to think about, I can't deny. Great book for book clubs.

caitlyn_baldwin's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

I found some of the parts of the plot to be dragging, however this novel is so messy, raw, and real. I thought it had some great representation and I loved the aspect of challenging the nuclear family model.

buta_comes_home's review against another edition

It took me a little while to get into the rhythm of this book - not because the characters and situations aren’t engaging but because the style hits slightly different beats to what I’ve been reading recently. It was definitely worth the effort.

Torrey Peters writes about the complexities of identity as a group and as an individual for three very different women who all view society in various ways, and cope with it in different ways. ‘Detransition, Baby’ jumps in time to show situations, attitudes and opinions in a tightly packed story that feels so much bigger and broader in scope.

bugail's review against another edition

If I could give this book 6 stars, I would. I loved every character. It was really & gritty without being exploitative. I know that this book was not written for me, & the gratitude I feel for being able to find parts of myself in these pages is immeasurable.

avno13's review against another edition

challenging reflective medium-paced

The high praises of this thoughtful, complex and realistic take on womanhood are well deserved.

alexandrachozik's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

margklin's review against another edition

Great book that reflects on a lot of intensely nuanced gender and motherhood topics, even ones I haven’t thought before. How is gender represented, non-pc, in subjugation, even in fetishization or in domestic violence? What is the relatively hidden significance, the instability and even the potential value in detransitioning? The choice to gender Amy/Ames differently throughout the novel, not necessarily relative to whether they were currently on estrogen or not, was fascinating to read and interpret. The only tiff I had was that I found Reese to be, if at some times semi-relatable, unlikeable and un-compelling. It was more like an academic text almost that I was reading to discover tidbits of insight more than inherently enjoying the narrative and wondering what was going to happen to the characters at the end. Overall would recommend for a book that approaches transness and gender more directly than any other book I’ve read before.

sarahbish's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional medium-paced