This Is How You Lose the Time War by Max Gladstone, Amal El-Mohtar

sassykathy12's review against another edition

slow-paced

readinchaos's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring sad tense medium-paced

neutralmilkpastel's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

nightlungs's review against another edition

stringing this on with dawnhounds & priory for books that indulge escapist worldbuilding-with-love gagabrain :) feel year 9 nose in scifi!!

_beckyzhong_'s review against another edition

"I want to sharpen your hungers fully as much as I long to satisfy them, one letter-seed at a time. I want to tell you something about myself. Something true, or nothing at all."

Confusing at first with all the sci-fi worldbuilding. The book could come off as a bit pretentious too given all the fancy vocabulary. However, El-Mohtar's writing style quickly grew on me. The painful yearning, longing, and affection behind the breathtaking prose made me sob. Every letter Red and Blue wrote for one another felt so lyrical--their words danced off the pages and begged readers to unravel them, ever so slowly. Makes me want to write a letter too, or perhaps love another as deeply as Red and Blue did one another.

litliz's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

alice_underland's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

cupcakesweetheart804's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious fast-paced

This is simultaneously one of the most confusing books I've ever read, and also one of the most beautifully written love stories I've ever read. Red and Blue were able to love each other in its purest forms, and it was truly a delight to read.

leo_e's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional fast-paced

This is a beautiful and well written book. It's a wonderful exploration of time and space that i fell in a way in love with, just the same as the characters. I very much recommend people read this book, but i will say that if you are new to reading in the english language it might not be a great book to start with. The writting is complex with a good amount of difficult words and melodic lines. So if you picked it up thinking it's a short book, that a lot of people like, and should be easy, then i warrn you, as a person that has read almost exclusivle in english since their teens, it was not the easiest read.

dinosaurhorrorshow's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

This book is a beautiful, weird, abstract, confusing, moving, love story. I’m obsessed and already wanting to read it again to pick through the pieces and find things I may have missed in the time travel messiness. I have never been someone who like annotating but there were so many beautiful, poetic lines in this that I just need to go through and hunt them all down so I can hoard them away in a notebook forever.
Reading this book feels like a fever dream and I was immediately confused and hooked all the way to the end.