The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin

travelgirlut's review against another edition

This book started slow for me. I didn't get what it was supposed to be about. Reading it in little snippets here and there probably contributed to that. I finally sat down and gave it a good solid go, and it started to grow on me. By the time I got to the end I was sad it was over because I had finally fallen under the spell that Le Guin's writing usually puts me under.

I'm still not sure what the underlying theme of the book was supposed to be (others say race/gender/feminist, etc.), but it definitely had a profound feel to it. Sadly I wasn't in a state of mind while reading it to be able to give it much deep thought. Also unfortunately, I probably won't come back to it later for a second read to figure it out. There are too many books in the world for me to read one a second time in the hopes of understanding it better.

camilas's review against another edition

adventurous challenging slow-paced

amydavid's review against another edition

I know this book is a masterpiece, but it just wasn’t for me. Compared to other Le Guin books I’ve read, it just did not grab me. Like 40% of this book is descriptions of ice.

I actually liked the book better after reading Charlie Jane Anders’ essay at the end, but it was too little, too late.

ptimsin's review against another edition

The rating is based on my enjoyment and expectation of the book rather than the quality of the book itself. Diving into it right after The Dispossessed I was hoping for something more intricate and philosophical and more focused on character interactions. However, the novel is brilliant and the author does an exceptional job of creating an imagery of an alien world. More importantly, the gender neutral alien concept is very relevant and an exaggerated point of view gives great insight into the understanding of mankind’s varying nature.

shinysquares's review against another edition

wow wow wow

mau_reeny's review against another edition

I really needed a map

iinamariiia's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious reflective medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

fern17's review against another edition

slow-paced

fracturescope's review against another edition

A wonderfully rich, resonant story, where the world and society were as compelling as the individual characters. The aesthetics at times reminded me of fairytales and high fantasy.

carkazone's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced