indiepauli47's review

Yay, first e-book of the year !

It was a quick, nice read, perfect for that time of the year.
5 stories from new-to-me authors, apart from McCammon, and I enjoyed all of them.

My favourite story was #MakeHalloweenScaryAgain, the last one, the longest as well (meaning more time to build up tension). Great story
Also amazing was The Rage of Achilles. Creepy and atmospheric

Again, enjoyed all of them, and it was a solid read for Halloween, can't wait to read the other volumes.

elizabethmeans's review

Halloween is the time to get cozy with the lights turned almost off ,and have hot cocoa to drink with a book of ghost to read, so while these stories aren't scary, or spooky ,they are strange in their own way, which is just as good in my opinion. The different authors have a way of bring them to life. So if you love the strange then these stories are for you, with that said I would love to say thinks to NetGalley for giving me a chance at reading this Volume One of Halloween Carnival ,and can't wait to check out the rest of them.

bbehring12's review

dark tense fast-paced

wellwortharead's review

These stories do revolve around Halloween but they are more than just horror. They are tales of grief, of love and loss, spirits with unfinished business, all surrounding the most otherworldly night of the year. They can be savored slowly to help you get into the spirit of Halloween or devoured quickly for a rush of spooky fun any time. I read them over a particularly hot week in July while I was away from my home and my air conditioner. I was almost able to convince myself that I could hear rustling leaves and a cool October wind. All were good, but for me the most notable in the bunch were...

Strange Candy- A story about a grieving man who finds peace after consuming an odd confection brought home in his child's trick or treat bag.

#MakeHalloweenScaryAgain -in which a writer who wishes to draw some interest and attention to his work stirs up a serial killer with his simple hashtag.

The Rage Of Achilles - A priest hears a haunting confession on Halloween from a man who has suffered a tragedy.

Highly recommended to all lovers of horror and Halloween.

I received an advance copy for review.

titanic's review

This book started off great, I really enjoyed the first two stories they sucked me in and I was thrilled to be reading them but the third story was stupid. Demons taken over a plane sounds very interesting, until you make them childish and have them make passengers bob for apples. Sure they were rotten apples in murky water, but it didn't make sense. The story only got downhill from then. They started off as these fearful demons but then they get afraid when the passengers stand up to them? And you expect me to believe all that happens in 24 hours? No thanks.

The next story was okay, not boring but nothing special about it. I didn't enjoy it, and it had a small racist character which left a slight bitter taste in my mouth, but it was readable. It was different.

The last story held so much potential, but the ending let it down, it was such a shame. I really expected it to have a better ending, and when it ended how it did I regretted reading the story. It spoilt it. I thought it was him, and when it was (sort of?) revealed that it was, I wasn't happy that I
got it right because it wasn't executed well enough.

3no7's review

“Halloween Carnival” is the definitive anthology for every fan of Halloween (and who isn’t?). It is a collection of five quick yet fantastic reads, all with a Halloween theme. The stories are all different, some longer and some shorter, but there is something for every reader, and all are engrossing. This collection allows a fan to read and finish a compelling story all in one sitting. It is perfect for plane trips, car rides, or while waiting for appointments or when taking others (CHILDREN) to practice, or lessons, or games, or meetings, or after-school events – the list goes on!

I received an advance copy of “Halloween Carnival” from Penguin Random House, Hydra, and NetGalley to read and review, and I was able to finish the stories on my time schedule without interrupting my other plans or forgetting where I was in the book. I could read these Halloween stories every year and love them each time.

andreacaro's review

2.5?

biblio_beth's review

NetGalley provided ARC.

With the exception of McCammon's story which was excellent, these stories were just your typical Halloween tales.

charshorrorcorner's review

Halloween Carnival Volume 1 is a tasty treat for horror lovers everywhere!

First off, I have to mention the opening story, Robert McCammon's Strange Candy . I'm a huge McCammon fan and this story was originally found in the FANTASTIC collection Blue World. Poignant and sweet this tale will always remain one of my favorites.

With that out of the way, the story that impressed me the most here was Kevin Lucia's The Rage of Achilles, or When Mockingbirds Sing. At first, what started out to be a story of the difficulties of parenting a special needs child turned into a story of such bittersweet pain and love, I thought I heard my heart crack. Beautifully written with prose that cuts straight through your chest, this was the star of Volume 1.

La Hacienda de los Muertos by Lisa Morton was a neatly wrapped up tale about shooting a movie in Mexico. And maybe a ghost?

John Little can always be counted on to deliver and that he does with Demon Air .

Lastly, Mark Allen Gunnells' #Makehalloweenscaryagain was my first read of this author's work. While I generally don't care for hashtag anything, and even though I partially guessed how this story would end, I still enjoyed the journey and I look forward to reading more from Gunnells in the future.

Other than Strange Candy, I am not sure if these other stories have been published elsewhere previously. If so, I haven't come across them. I enjoyed the fact that these tales were mostly gore free, quiet horror since that's the type I prefer these days. If quiet but powerful horror is your thing, I highly recommend this collection-especially for your Halloween reading pleasure!

You can pre-order your copy here: Halloween Carnival Volume 1

*Thanks so much to Hydra and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion. This is it!*

bobbiesdustypages's review

Thanks to the Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC on this book.

Halloween Carnival is a collection of short and one not so short Halloween inspired stories. None of the stories are all that long except for the last one #MAKEHALLOWEENSCARYAGAIN which takes up the entire second half of this short 123-page book. None of the stories really read as horror except for two of the stories which were La Hacienda de los Muertos. and #MAKEHALLOWEENSCARYAGAIN which were my over all favorites of the book.

The reason I couldn't give this a higher rating was I had a really hard time getting into a few of the stories because of either the writing or the plot I found really underwhelming and had to kind of power my way through both Strange Candy and Demon Air.

I would recommend this book for people that are fans of more spooky fun Halloween short stories.