Winter by Marissa Meyer

catarinagc8's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

jaimek926's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

tropic_anaaa's review against another edition

This was so wonderful. I love all the characters and the settings and how the story was told. It was gorgeous

meliagelinas's review against another edition

What a long book. Yet, being that it is over 800 pages, I hardly noticed the length. The story flowed so well and progressed flawlessly. A stunning conclusion to a fantastic series. I loved how they were all brought together and grew off of each other. This series is definitely in my top ten, favorite books(/series') wise.

But I'm not done yet! (yay!), I still haven't read Fairest so I'll have to get around to that one soon. That being said, bravo, Marissa Meyer. I've loved all four.

**Update. I have read Fairest. It was great. Now I've just got to get around to Stars Above :) **

hecate5001's review against another edition

I hate sci-fi and i have to say i never thought that this series will be one of my favorite series of all time !!
i fucking adore the ending, the characters and the plot everything in this series is well done !!!
i'm going to miss the characters :(

eyreguide's review against another edition

This is such a massive story, but there were a lot of dramas and character arcs the author had to wrap up. And overall, this was a beautifully told and completely satisfying conclusion to a fantastic science fiction series.

Even though the story is called Winter, all the characters are equally important to the story. But because of the title, I'll start talking about Winter and her storyline. As always, I loved how Marissa Meyer integrated the Snow White fairy tale with Winter's story, and all the little references made me smile. Winter is unique in this series because she's so damaged and fragile, yet she has an inner strength that was beautiful to see. I'm not sure how I feel about her romance with Jacin though. It seems a little superficial, even though they have been through a lot. It's very sweet though, and Jacin is a wonderful character to get to know. His devotion to Winter is heart-warming, and he's smart and tough. Even if I wasn't completely sold on their connection, I liked them together - especially because Winter was so cute around him.

Scarlet was a character, I kind of overlooked in the past - I really liked her, but I was more interested in Cinder and Cress, but in this book, I loved how Scarlet took charge and how strong and resilient and fiery she was in some very trying circumstances. She became a very admirable character in this book, and I'm happy that she came into her own more. Her romance with Wolf is another romance I'm a bit iffy on, but it's wonderful how much of a connection she has with him, and how devoted they are to each other. I couldn't help feeling all the love!

Kai came out a much stronger and admirable character in this book as well. He has to make tough decisions and seeing his interactions with Levana showed how strong of a leader he was. It's too bad he was mostly powerless, but when he could act, it was very satisfying how quickly he made the right decisions. Cinder and Kai seem like a perfect pair, and I think of all the romances in this series and seeing how they developed, I love theirs the most. There is something so beautiful about how they look out for each other while also being true to their duties to their people.

Cress and Thorne though take the award for most adorable. I just love them together and it was sweet, if prolonged, how unsure they were about each other's feelings. Thorne is always the most entertaining character too, so I thoroughly enjoyed their interactions.

I have mostly talked about the romances of the characters in this story, but the plot is so important in this book. There's so much going on - so many threads that it was a struggle to read this book because I wanted to know what would happen immediately. Consequently I felt like the story dragged a little, and the pacing was sometimes slow, but I'm not sure if that was just because of my impatience. I think the author did a tremendous job of fleshing out every character and concluding their arc though, while also maintaining believably how difficult it would be for the characters to wrest control away from Levana. Levana was a true "nut-basket" too, and after reading the prequel novella about Levana's story it was fascinating to see and understand just how out of control she had become while Queen. Even though I had some sympathy with her after reading about her story in the novella, I was all about seeing her defeated in this book.

The consequences of all the characters' actions felt real, and the characters had fitting endings which made this a satisfying read. It had a lot of drama and suspense as well, which kept me engaged, and very impatient to get to the end. I'm sorry that the Lunar Chronicles series is over, but I'm happy for how it ended.

aayusha's review against another edition

Oh Winter~~ you quirky, strange and ridiculously charismatic princess.

W-“I love him like I love my own platelet-manufacturing plant.”
S-“Your own what?”
W-“I don’t know. My heart, I think. My body. I love him, every part of him.”

redsilva95's review against another edition

Ok, so processing all my thoughts about this made me took a star off.

-It felt rushed;

-The revolution and the final confrontation was done so quickly that felt a bit too anti-climatic;

-The aftermath also happened so fast;

-Not much time was spent with the characters. I get that developing 10 POVs it's too much, but Marissa nailed it in the previous books. I feel like Winter should be front and center in here, and maybe have a fifth book about Luna;

-Scarlet and Thorne remain my favorite characters (alongside Iko, of course), but I absolutely loved all the main protagonists. Sure, I hated Levana for all the nasty things she's done, but she's such a complex villain that sometimes you get her side;

-There are some serious Mockingjay vibes in here.

SpoilerThe lack of a main character's death was odd when you consider that this takes place in a war. Cinder, Scarlet and Cress had major deaths that got me hitting all Five Stages of Grief for a Book Character, but this one didn't. On one hand, I am of course happy and satisfied that all my faves got their HEA, but I need to appoint that.

Overall, this was a very fast-paced and satisfying finale to a series that I love so much. It wasn't my favorite in the series - Scarlet and Levana were better - but still left me with a big smile on the face.

Ok, parei para refletir um pouco mais sobre este livro e acabei tirando uma estrela dele. Pra mim, Scarlet foi o pico da série. Muitas coisas acontecem aqui, e ficou corrido demais. A Winter virou coadjuvante no seu próprio livro. Gostaria que a autora tivesse feito o quarto livro da Winter e um quinto focado na revolução em Luna. Sim, a revolução que acontecesse aqui lembra muito Jogos Vorazes - não tem como não comparar ele com "A Esperança" em momentos fundamentais - só que ficou um gosto anti-climático na resolução de tudo. Ficou apressado demais - o que é irônico já que ele tem mais de 800 páginas. Temos pontos de vistas de 10 personagens, e senti que não passamos muito tempo com eles. Deixo claro que meu casal favorito da série foi Scarlet e Wolf, e ela foi minha personagem feminina favorita. Esperava mais do confronto final e da grande batalha. No geral, fiquei feliz com a resolução dos personagens.
SpoilerNo entanto concordo com a Sam do canal Thoughts on Tomes que a falta de uma morte importante num livro de guerra deixou tudo fácil demais, principalmente porque mortes de personagens importantes já aconteceram nos outros livros.

smorrison4's review against another edition

A great conclusion to the Lunar Chronicles series. I love how Cinder was able to take over Luna and with understanding and care, change the future for Lunars and Eartherns alike.

raccoon_rach's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful tense fast-paced