Reviews for To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, by Christopher Paolini

llcooljabe's review against another edition

Not a very good reviewer. Just posting some thoughts:

I enjoyed the Eragon series. Despite that its use of tropes caused a lot of deserved criticism,it was a fun read.

I went into this book expecting the same. But either I'm not enough of a sci-fi guy to recognize them or it wasn't as bad as I had expected. I suspect it's the former, as I'm more of a fantasy guy.

So going in I wasn't expecting much. Not sure if that expectation was a self fulfilling prophecy but once finished I was left w a meh.

First off the good:
-it was a fun read. I'm not smart enough to criticize editing or writing, so I didn’t notice any glaring flaws. I just enjoyed the story

The bad
-it could have been way shorter.
-inner angst/guilt of the characters (not just kira) got to be tiresome and annoying.
-set up for sequels was annoying. Felt almost like an afterthought.

Bottom line:
Fun meter: 4/5
Predictability meter: 4/5
Ending: 2/5
Overall:2.5/5 rounded up to 3
Will I read the sequel? Probably.

drmuenke's review against another edition

Wow! I loved this book. Paolini’s ability to create worlds with such depth and breadth is astounding. I can get lost in his worlds, and enjoy every minute of it.

weasels10's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

coralprettyinpapercuts's review

adventurous slow-paced

actuallyahorsereads's review against another edition

I have never felt so conflicted about giving a book a rating before. On the one hand, the themes and the overall message of this book were phenomenal. I loved the journey, I loved the ending, and the plot itself was actually incredible. The science was painstakingly researched and presented in highly believable ways and the nerd in me reveled in it.

On the other hand: this book was painfully long. I’ve read 800+ paged books many times and have never felt the weight of them so much as this one. The editing in this left something to be desired—there were a lot of redundant phrases and paragraphs, a lot of unneeded plots, and too much emphasis placed on things that ended up not being essential to the overall story. The characters and their development were sacrificed in a lot of ways that hindered my ability to care about any of them, and I honestly feel like they detracted from the story more than they added. And good fucking lord, none of those cringe sex scenes needed to be added. Plus the emotional weight of a lot of happened was never addressed and I think a lot of the book would have been vastly more powerful had that been explored more.

Last, but certainly not least in my critiques (and you will hear this from any self-aware person that understands the differences in how a woman thinks versus how a man thinks): Kira suffered quite a bit from being a woman written by a man. There have been men who have pulled off female characters so I’m not saying they never should...but there were a lot of word choices and a lot of scenes that were painful and it makes me wonder sometimes if the author has ever actually met a human woman before or not.

Did I enjoy this? In parts, yes. Will I read a sequel to this? Honestly, yes. There were a lot of threads and hints at a much larger universe at play and I would be interested in seeing how those were explored. Would I recommend this? Honestly.... probably not. There are better written, shorter, easier to get through books that cover similar topics, and I am not entirely sure this one is worth the slog to get through.

I think overall, had this book had an editor that was willing to go to bat against Paolini and push him further to be a better writer and not be afraid to delete shit out of here, this could have been a raging success. And it could have easily been a favorite. But this absolutely suffered in the editing department and that’s why I’m having such a hard time rating this. Because the potential is absolutely there to be brilliant. But it did fall a lot shorter than I was expecting in that potential.

My apologies if this review is a mess and way too long, though to be fair that is an apt representation of this book and my thoughts on it.

multiplemeyers's review against another edition

Wow! Christopher Paolini can write an epic!

TO SLEEP IN A SEA OF STARS is his first adult novel and just as with THE INHERITANCE CYCLE, Paolini brings you into the world he has created and you feel like you belong there and that you know and care about the many characters he introduces you to. Despite the length of the novel, in this case 880 pages or 32 hours, you are only too happy to go along for the journey as the human race fights for survival against a nightmarish alien enemy.

This audiobook was narrated beautifully by Jennifer Hale.

Thanks NetGalley and Macmillian Audio for an ARC of the audiobook in exchange for my honest review!

jennhammel's review

adventurous slow-paced

fallfromgrace67's review

adventurous dark informative mysterious slow-paced

Oh man where to start with this beautifully crafted novel.

There are novels you read and move on and there are ones you have to digest for awhile. [b:To Sleep in a Sea of Stars|48829708|To Sleep in a Sea of Stars|Christopher Paolini|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1583523112l/48829708._SY75_.jpg|63664903] is definitely the later type of novel. Once you've turned the last page of Kira's story you'll just have to sit for a bit and dry your eyes. Don't judge Stars by the first 350 pages. She's a slow burner this one, but the latter half of the novel is exciting, breath-taking, and bittersweet. The character's are delightfully human and the world expansion is wonderfully done. At times Kira seems very annoying but just remember - she's a scientist that's been passed around like a time bomb and has minimal combat experience. Gregorivitch has to be my favourite character. I find the ship mind so delightfully hilarious.

This is not a novel you will pick up again quickly (it's a good chunk of a book at over 800 pages) but it's not one that will leave you any time soon.

yodareads12's review against another edition

I was a huge fan of the Inheritance Cycle so you can imagine my excitement when I first saw that this book would be coming out! I have to say that I am not disappointed from the outcome.

Those who read the Inheritance Cycle know that is was very much a Fantasy based world. Whereas this book falls very much under Science Fiction. I know many who were nervous about this because not all authors can jump from one genre to another. Christopher Paolini you did an awesome job!

Yes, there were definitely some moments that could fall into the Fantasy genre, but overall this was a beautiful Science Fiction creation. He did such a great job with character development and story development. Everything that didn't make sense at first, he gave an explanation to. And he also left the reader with a sense of completion while also allowing for future stories if he wanted.

The character themselves I couldn't help but fall in love with, including the antagonists! There is so much action, comedy, mind-blowing events, and even some romance!

Now, it is a whopper of a book, but if you think you can push through 880 pages I definitely recommend giving it a shot! My only reason for giving it 4 instead of 5 stars is because there is a good amount of cussing which I prefer not to have in books. Otherwise, it would have been a 5 star read!

kianaps's review against another edition

3.5 stars

The concept of a woman finding a living alien artifact in space is exciting! I was pleasantly surprised by how much action it involved and how quickly. The characters were well written and their names matched their personalities perfectly. For some reason I think Kira Navarez is a great main character's name and Gregorovich just fits (you'll see).

However, I'm left with the feeling that there was too much - too many rising actions, too many resolutions. The plot got a bit muddled and I think it would have been a 5 star read had it been paired down, more focused.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and it was a surprisingly quick read for me, given it's large size.