How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend, by Linda Addison

dogunderwater's review

Not as good as its title, unfortunately. The poetry felt pretty unworkshopped but the short stories were much stronger. More of a 2.5?

eve81's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

sarah984's review

dark funny fast-paced

This collection was hit or miss for me. I didn't like the poetry at all, but most of the short stories were a great blend of horror, sci-fi, and humour.

susysstories's review

2.5 stars
Not a big fan of poetry nor short stories but had some hope because I like horror and the cover intrigued me, but alas.

Dust to Dust****

dark funny fast-paced

anyab's review

dark funny mysterious slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

Really enjoyed this book, the stories and poems were often unexpected, with humour and twists.

erinxmegan's review

I’ve never been much a poetry person, I’m not really sure why, but it’s never really been my jam.
I thought that maybe trying out poetry in the horror genre would change my mind since horror is my genre of choice.
But I have to say, I’m still not a big fan of it.
That of course is just my personal opinion. I’m sure if you love poetry, and enjoy horror, this would probably be right up your alley.
Now the short stories were awesome. I loved every second of them and would love to read more from this author because of how much I enjoyed the stories in this collection. They were so fun and unique, they definitely held my attention and I found myself wishing for more of them.
Overall, I really enjoyed this collection, even if the poetry wasn’t exactly my sort of thing.

errantdreams's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

When I bought Linda Addison’s horror collection How To Recognize A Demon Has Become Your Friend, I didn’t realize there was quite a bit of poetry in among the stories. I’m not much of a poetry reader, and I won’t comment on it here because I don’t have a lot to say about it except “I thought it was good.” But what I can tell you, is that the stories in here are so good that even if you’re the kind of person who skips over poetry, you will totally get your money’s worth with this book. The stories are that good.

“The Power” is a great story about cousins Brenda and Angelique, who share a certain inherited ability. It kind of seems like the scary neighbor has an interest in them, and it isn’t good. I love the characters of Brenda and Angelique, and you’ll see adult versions of them in a later story, “Milez to Go.” In that tale, Addison seamlessly blends bio-engineering with folk magic, which is difficult to do.

My absolute favorite story in here–the one that could justify the price of the entire book–is “369 Gates of Hell.” A bodyguard named Redi Thomas, who used to be an assassin, is offered one more assassination job. The prize? The ghosts of the people she’s killed will stop haunting her. I could never have imagined where this one would go, and it’s just amazing.

There are multiple stories just kind of exploring the lines between life and death, such as “Dust to Dust” and “Night of the Living and Dead.”

A couple of pieces are either humorous or whimsical in nature, such as “Excerpts from the Unabridged Traveler’s Guide as UFOs in Galaxy A.G.2.,” “Artificial Unintelligence,” “Live and Let Live,” (aliens!) and “Am I Repeating Myself?” Not to mention “Unrequited,” which is both whimsical and explores that line between life and death–in it, a zombie seems to have a strange urge that he’s trying to follow.

There are also a couple of more serious stories that examine things like emotional abuse and bullying. This is truly a wide-ranging collection, one that’s extremely well-written. I hope to read more by Ms. Addison!

Content note: some body horror, decomposition, torture.

witbeyndmehsure's review