Soulstar by C.L. Polk

erikinthedistrict's review against another edition

slow-paced

Series kind of fizzled out, decent conclusion but 2nd book was distinctly the peak.

Also I could write an essay about the need for some integrated resource planning before
transition to residential wind energy, even if it’s backed by weather mages

massivepizzacrust's review

emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

This series is so underrated, I wish more people would read it. It has intrigue, it has stakes, it has cozy vibes, it has romance. I could read five more books set in this world.

cassie_b's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

megatza's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

An impressive conclusion! Collective politics and worker cooperatives in SFF are my thing, and Polk gives us a powerful revolution where Robin, Grace, and Miles all need to be one step ahead. The secrets that are uncovered in book one have massive fallout in book three, and it's a desperate race to uncover truths.

Robin is reunited with spouse Zelind, who has been imprisoned but presumed dead for 20 years, so the romance arc follows an older couple, a woman and enby mc, as they navigate their relationship having been separated since their wedding.

mobooks's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

jwood99's review

dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

amazingracerose's review against another edition

Really cool discussion of transitional Justice and politics of oppression. I wish I read it closer to when I did the first two because the beginning felt sense and overwhelming while I was trying to immerse myself back in the world

jnlundy's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

qu33nofbookz's review

Holy hell how did this get published? It completely skipped the editor's desk and it pisses me off. It seems the author has given up on her story/world and was just in a rush to get something out. What a mess. What a terrible end to such a good beginning. Just stick to the first book and pretend the second two don't exist.

I have a first edition printing and it's full of errors! How did this get past the presses? Page after page of errors. It also needs some heavy editing besides the spelling errors. It feels self-published.

This book suffers from trying to put too much stuff into it without going in-depth as well as stuffing current real world events in that have nothing to do with the original story outline from book 1 or even book 2, dropping previous characters that were important and leaving out plots from previous books that should have carried over, and dropping the ones from the first chapters here to go after something else. Plot holes are rampant and nothing is at all cohesive. The added trope of secret marriage that doesn't work well here. Low on magic, heavy on the politics that contribute to plot holes. Again trying to put way too much into such a short book. The pacing was terrible going between rushed, time skipped, and nothing happening leading to stilted and awkward dialogue that seems out of place most of the time.

Also not sure why, maybe the editor suggested it, but a lot, and I mean a lot of emphases was put on pointing out that most of the people in this world are black without actually giving a description of the characters except for the length or style of their hair which was either shorn short or in braids (hello stereotyping and fashion tropes) and pointing out a few white people by saying they are white and therefore don't fit in and stand out. I don't care what race the character is, I like the characters regardless but a description/features of what they look like would be nice. Boo for heavy stereotyping.

This book is from Robin (Miles's friend from book 1) POV. She is nothing like in the first book and it's disappointing since we don't see any character growth to explain the change, it's just there that she is a different character. Also, the lack of key characters from book to book is annoying. Grace is here but only to say yes mam to Robin and Miles and Tristain and his people are almost nonexistent and Avia is completely mia. Robin is freeing the witches from asylums, planning an election to overthrow the monarchy, being prime minister of a government that doesn't exist so she must make it so, trying to repair her relationship with her 20-year absent wife, trying to help witches build a new clan, and save their place to live, she is trying to get a business off the ground and she trying to solve her friend's murder.

crochetchrisie's review

A satisfying conclusion, I think.