jenilyn's review against another edition

Overall, I give this book a 3. A few of the stories were bland, a couple odd and a few really great.

I tried to read each story without being aware of who wrote it (no bias on my part that way.) My favorite (4 star!) stories were: Quiz Bowl Antichrist by David Levithan, Freak the Geek by John Green, The Quiet Knight by Garth Nix (I need to read more of his stuff!),Everyone but You By Lisa Yee, This is my Audition Monologue by Sara Zarr, and It's just a Jump to the Left by Libba Bray.

Of them all, I think Bray's story was the most effective, capturing that awkward time between childhood and adulthood, all with The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a backdrop.

signarwhal's review against another edition

this book is awesome! i'd definitely recommend it! it has a lot of stories from my favorite authors! in wendy mass's story 'the stars at the finish line' she writes about love and rivalry from when the main characters were nine to their junior year all wrapped around stars and astronomy (a theme in many of wendy mass's books). david levithan's 'quiz bowl antichrist tells of an unarticulated crush, rivalry, friendship, and all between one geeky quiz bowl team with a great narration. in 'one of us' by tracy lynn, a cheerleader seeks help from her high school's geekiest club in understanding her quarterback boyfriend's geeky star trek obsession. very well written and my book group all recommends it. in 'this is my audition monologue' by sara zarr a girl confesses she feels guilty about how one boy was electrocuted while running the light board because she could've been in the sound booth, but was backstage mouthing every line in the play because she wanted to be in it. she thinks the reason why she's never gotten a part is because she always checks yes in the box that says 'in the event you are not cast in the play, would you be willing to work behind the scenes in this production?'. that story was really good! in 'i never' by cassandra clare, a girl finds out that not everyone is who they say they are on the internet.

emsley7's review against another edition

This Collection was a varied and fun read. Some of the stories made me chuckle, and some made me think. All of them had heart. A perfect read for any geek who wants to feel a connection. It feels like a written reminder that we geeks are many.

devafagan's review against another edition

I'm not reading every story, but I have enjoyed several quite a lot as I make my way randomly through the anthology. My favorites so far are Once You're a Jedi, You're a Jedi All the Way by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci and The Quiet Knight by Garth Nix.

I also have great fondness for the whole packaging of the book and various geek in-jokes present throughout that appeal to many of my own primary geekdoms (math/CS, comic books, various tv/movie fandoms, RPG, LARP)

6/13: I haven't actually read all of this, but I had to return my copy to the library. Hopefully will get my own and finish eventually.

poetkoala's review against another edition

Quick read, LOTS of great stories from fantastic authors! Love it!

williamsdebbied's review against another edition

A collection of short stories that celebrate multiple ways to be a geek, written by some of my favorite YA authors.

Obviously, readers will relate to some stories more than others, but here are some of my favorites:

"Once You're a Jedi, You're a Jedi All the Way" is by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci. A girl dressed as a Klingon and a guy dressed as a Jedi wake up together after meeting at a convention. Even though they seem to have little in common, they discover that they like each other.

In "One of Us," by Tracy Lynn, a cheerleader asks a group of geeks to teach her about the stuff they like so that she can relate to her boyfriend (who likes similar things). Loved it!

"Definitional Chaos," by Scott Westerfeld, features a couple who used to date, but no longer trust each other, and a large amount of cash. Everything this guy writes grabs me.

"I Never," by Cassandra Clare, features a girl named Jane who fantasizes about the romantic hero of her favorite book. She meets a guy online, and discovers that an online persona is not always what you get in real life.

In "The King of Pelinesse" by M.T. Anderson, a boy shows up at the home of his favorite author after finding a letter addressed to his mother indicating that the two had an affair.

"The Wrath of Dawn" by Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith, is about a geek who finds some unexpected support from her non-geek stepsister.

"Quiz Bowl Antichrist" by David Leviathan centers on a teen boy coming to terms with both his geek status and his sexuality.

In "The Quiet Knight" by Garth Nix, a boy who seldom talks participates in medieval battle simulations. Before he knows it, his fantasy life collides with his real life in an unexpected way. Excellent!

"Everyone But You" by Lisa Yee tells the story of a very peppy and popular girl who is treated like an unpopular geek at her new school.

"Secret Identity" by Kelly Link is a letter written by a girl to the much older guy she met online when she was pretending to be her older sister.

"Freak the Geek" by John Green is about two girls who are the object of a prank.

"The Truth About Dino Girl" by Barry Lyga is darker than most of the stories in this collection, about how a nerd gets revenge on a popular girl.

"This is my Audition Monologue" by Sara Zarr is a rambling speech given by a girl desperate to get a part, any part, in the school play.

"The Stars at the Finish Line" by Wendy Mass uses combines astronomy and romance in a creative way. Loved it!

"It's Just a Jump to the Left" by Libba Bray describes a pair of best friends who go to The Rocky Horror Picture Show every week. I wanted to love it, but just couldn't relate.

The comics between each story were actually my favorite part of the book. Highly entertaining.

Most of these stories were excellent and thought-provoking. There is some mature content that makes the collection more appropriate for high school and up.

maddness22's review against another edition

Overall, this is an excellent anthology. Some stories are fantastic and beautiful to read, perfectly reflecting the modern geek culture with the reality of adolescence. Others are.....not that. But still, there's more great stories than not so that's good.

gardenofedee's review against another edition

I liked some of these stories a lot but really didn't like some others. I'd say "I Never" by Cassie Clare was my favorite, followed by "Quiz Bowl Antichrist" by David Levithan.

The comics were great. Loved them!

diannesk's review against another edition

Didn't finish this, there were just too many shorts I did not like.

soelo's review against another edition

Some of these stories are pretty good and some are, well, too long. Like many short story collections, many of them take too long to lay out the characters and setting and not enough time on the plot. I Never, Quiz Bowl, Everyone But You and The Stars at the Finish Line are my favorites.