Adam Bede, by George Eliot

eunicez's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced

librarianna81's review against another edition

I really enjoyed and was very intrigued by the story which related to the persecution of a woman accused of "child murder" (not abortion; this happened after it was already born), and how the people of the time reacted to the accusations and imprisonment. But I didn't find the book all that moving...and, in fact, I found the characters frustrating and rather one-dimensional. I thought the story was pretty bland and largely predictable, and I found I was angry at how saintly Adam's brother was about certain things (don't want to spoil anything). Every character had his or her caricature, and they stuck to it through to the end. And I am sometimes frustrated by George Eliot, because while I know that some of the things she writes about women was tongue-in-cheek (seeing as she wrote under a masculine nom de plume), the way her female characters are can b e pretty awfully stereotypical. Anyway, it was a quaint story, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I feel like I have more to say, but I think I'm being more redundant than anything else right now, and not getting my point across. Blah.

willowtalks's review against another edition

This was a tough read, but I'm glad I pushed through it. I actually really enjoyed it overall, and I have a lot of love for what George Eliot was doing here. All stories deserve a voice, and she gave this story a beautiful and descriptive one.

I may actually have to revisit this one again sometime. I'm generally not one to re-read things, but this story would benefit from that, I think.

quoththegirl's review against another edition

This week’s reading includes Adam Bede by George Eliot. Thus far, I am not enthralled, but I’ll give it time. I have a monstrosity of a volume that includes four George Eliot novels; the book is so big, I would probably break all of the bones in my foot if I accidentally dropped it on myself. Ah well, even if I’m not a fan of all of the novels (though I did enjoy Eliot’s Middlemarch), I’ll at least wind up with decent biceps by the time I’m done reading them, just from carting the book around.

cooks4eleven's review against another edition

I was really enjoying this book. It sometimes made me feel as if I were reading Thomas Hardy, whose books I love. And then I came to the last few chapters and completely changed my mind. It was so unfortunately unbelievable. Seth, the underused, much abused character, again sacrifices his feelings for his family, in this case, Adam. Coming from an author who loves to depict real people, the circumstances resolving this novel are outrageously NOT believable, and I can't imagine any person behaving as Seth did.
Disappointing.

makennaknighton's review against another edition

I normally love Eliot stories, but I had a harder time getting into this one. The setting felt immersive but the relationships fell flat - maybe that was her point, but still. The ending seemed way too convenient for Adam.

whatcarlaread's review against another edition

relaxing sad slow-paced

saralouisemarsbar's review

emotional slow-paced

hannahhood's review against another edition

emotional relaxing sad slow-paced