I Am Still Alive, by Kate Alice Marshall

rebecca_isreading's review against another edition

Thanks to the publisher, via Netgalley, for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

The sense of danger and tension in this book simmers throughout as Jess has to figure out how to survive in the wilderness after her father dies. She's alone, she's still recovering from injuries sustained in the car crash that killed her mother, and she has very few survivalist skills. But she wants to live- and she's going to figure out how. A super fast read, the sense of isolation and place is very strong and readers will be desperate to know if Jess succeeds at surviving.

bookishbrook's review against another edition

I've seen a lot reviews on here saying that "well, it's just a survival story." …...If not a survival story, what did you think it was supposed to be? It seemed pretty clear going into it that this was Jess's survival story. Anyway, I LOVED it. I loved the dual narrative of 'before' and 'after,' and I really enjoyed Jess's character. There were a few details at the end of the book that I felt could have been expanded on or just left out, but that was really a small and unimportant piece of the book. I must admit that I wailed and cried towards the end of the book, just before you find out what ultimately happens to Jess. If you've read the book, you probably know what I'm getting at here. It may be a survival story, but not everyone survives.
I feel like this would make a great contemporary substitution for reading Paulsen's "Hatchet" in school.

elover05's review

adventurous tense slow-paced

marga1995's review

adventurous dark sad tense medium-paced

baisles's review

adventurous challenging hopeful medium-paced

This book was awesome. I need more survival fiction in my life. And animal companions. The story is heartbreaking but I loved reading it and I honestly couldn't tell how it was going to end the whole time I was reading until I finished.

that1booknerd_11's review against another edition

Oh my goodness, this book was like "Hatchet" but in my opinion way better. The detail of the book, the reality that happens, the thought process, everything took me through an emotional ride. I love the fact that the main character was not only a girl, but also a girl who wasn't in the best fit. She knew things, and was able to be "smarter, not stronger." The emotions and the life that Jess made it through was simply inspiring, encouraging all that we can survive anything. Of course it had its moments, the fact that I cried when Bo died, or sat there silently encouraging Jess to kill Ralph and mentally screaming in victory at the end. Such a good book all around, it gave all the details people seem to miss in books.

librarydose's review against another edition

This was just okay. I felt it was unnecessarily brutal and sad. I felt like we never really get to know her parents who are both dead when the book opens, and so we can't really mourn with her.

Also --I didn't have fun reading it. I just couldn't wait to leave this world.

ijkcarly's review against another edition

This book was refreshing. It's been a long time since I've read a book with a character that had to over come so much. The author really made this character struggle, fight, and survive. Nothing came easy. The ending left me wanting more. I feel like I need more closure. Overall, I enjoyed this book and I'd recommend it.

booknrrd's review against another edition

A 2020-2021 Missouri Truman Readers Award preliminary nominee (grades 6-8).

After her mothers dies in a car accident and Jess is badly injured, she is sent to live with the father she barely knows in Alaska, except he doesn't exactly live in Alaska, but in a remote part of Canada that is only accessible by helicopter, and the helicopter only comes every so often.

When tragedy strikes Jess finds herself alone in the wilderness with a dog and not much else and must rely on her wits to survive.

This was not bad. I just prefer books where there is more than one character. I like exploring the connections between people. Survival stories, especially where there is just one person, just aren't my thing. This is a good example of a survival story, and I appreciated that it had a female lead and a trusty dog.

octobertune's review

I read Rules for Vanishing by the same author last year and really enjoyed that one. This one sounded like something that would scare me in a different way and it actually did. I did very much enjoy this and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. But ffs that ending fucked me up.
SpoilerWhy? Why Bo? Tell me, Kate. WHY?!