Dying for a Living, by Kory M. Shrum

wulfwyn's review

This book was a lovely surprise. I am extremely happy to have found it. I enjoy zombie books. Usually they terrify me. Not so this book. The author has come up with a fresh, unique zombie story. I didn't think it was possible. Along with the unique storyline, the author gave us solid characters. I loved them. This story has a lot of humor injected into it. I love the sarcasm! I absolutely had a good time reading Dying for a Living. The book is part of a series. It doesn't end with some crazy event that is continued in the second one. Rather it dangles the mystery that we already know with the promise that we will know more in the future. That is how we find ourselves caught in a web of a sarcastic zombie, angels who we are not quite certain are there to help or harm, extremist church members, romance, intrigue and dying, hopefully without a death. If you are looking for a unique, laugh out loud, reading adventure this is your book. If you wanted to read a zombie book but they scare you too much, give this one a shot.
For those who want to know, this book contains same-sex relationship talk and some violence, though not very gory.

emmac11's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

magnetgrrl's review

Disclaimer - I'm adding just about every book I read in 2016 to Goodreads in December.

I read a ton of lesbian romance novels on Kindle Unlimited this year. Most just kind of blended together in my head, but this stood out because I hated it.

First, it was sort of incorrectly recommended to me by Amazon. I can only blame myself, so I'll not say much more about it, other than that I was expecting a lesbian romance, and instead I got a straight girl who has both a guy and a girl best friend in love with her, kinda wants neither of them, but ends up with the guy anyway. That could NOT be more disappointing, but whatever.

The setup for this doesn't make sense to me. I didn't really like the main character. The ONLY character I sort of liked - although you barely know anything about her other than you feel kind of bad for her - is Ally, the lesbian involved with her best friend. The guy she starts dating, Lane, actually seems kinda selfish and possessive... in sadly a really casually male, creepy, and all-t0-realistic sort of way.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I read this, and would not recommend it to anyone I know. I guess it's part of a series? Which I will not be reading any more of, but which I nonetheless hope improves.

aylas_journey's review

This book started out really strong but then moved into increasingly implausible situations, challenging even *my* ability to suspend my disbelief.

corrie's review

The first of a whole seres of books starring necronite Jesse Sullivan. Book Club buddy D. and I enjoyed the first installment. We get to know Jesse, the unusual work that she does and the people close to her. The mystery was interesting although we both found the story a bit slow at times. I hope that it will pick up the pace in the next book.

amybooksit's review

I really enjoyed this story. It's so hard to find unique plots but this amazing author found a great one! Overall, the characters were multidimensional and relateable, the storyline was strong and gripping, and the writing was superb. Everything a reader can ask for. I will be looking forward to the next book in this wonderful series!

textandtunes's review

Unexpectedly good!

peridotmage's review

Well, I ate this right up! The basic premise provided by the blurb was fascinating to me, & the whole book does a great job of fleshing it out. If you like Supernatural, I'm pretty sure you'll also like this book. Just don't go into it expecting anything light & fluffy.

verabklover's review

I'm in love with this death replacement bisexual disaster! amazing prn book, I started reading 2nd one right away

michanikos's review