Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn

ayuardhita's review against another edition

To be honest, it was pretty difficult for me to rate this book. But one thing for sure, I was instantly hooked to the writing style.
I personally like it more to find out about the characters' personalities through their own minds/feelings and inner conflicts rather than through the conversations. And as a psychological thriller book, Flynn did a very good job.

It was a little bit slow for me especially in the beginning, but I kept going as curiosity got the better of me.
This book was indeed disturbing, particularly character-wise. I didn't mind most of the creepy parts, though.

It was both a different and an interesting read for me as it was my first thriller book, but I'll make sure to check out more of Flynn's books in the near future.

jamiebythebook's review against another edition

After I finished Middlesex (and the whole time I was reading it) I was craving a novel that I could just completely zip through. The day after I finished I decided to pick up (off my bookshelf) Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I soared through Gone Girl in the fall of 2012 and figured this book would be a good place to start.

It’s nasty. Deeply nasty and deeply twisted. And I don’t mean nasty like “ewwwaAAHhh grossss” but nasty like painful, and harmful, and physically unpleasant. Because I read Gone Girl I knew to expect something like that, but I was really surprised by this book. I loved how Flynn wrote a novel where all of the main characters are cruel women. Cruel women reacting to abuse, circumstance, scandal, alcoholism, parenthood, small town gossip… just vicious characters. As much as I tried to like the main character, I just couldn’t bring myself to. I don’t think I liked a single character in this (maybe Curry), but they were all incredibly thrilling and interesting.

Nothing in this book feels good, but it is gripping. So much alcohol, so many drugs, so many weird, messed up adolescent relationships, sex as a tool, pain and violence as power demonstrations, sickening family relationships. Nothing felt good. And of course, no happy ending.

Ya did it again, Gill! Loved it. Sort of couldn’t sleep after I finished it. Definitely can’t stop thinking about it.

catarinajjoia's review against another edition

Gillian Flynn is, hands down, AMAZING! Sharp Objects was probably my least favourite book she's written, but only because I believe it wasn't as... "developed" as either Gone Girl or Dark Places.

HOWEVER, this was the most disturbing book I've read the past few years. Like... woah!

drishtidesai's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

seedwa's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

Really unsatisfying book - I found myself skimming over many passages and felt like the ending was pretty rushed and emotionally stunted. I enjoyed Gone Girl and had heard this was a better book, but Gone Girl is by far the superior novel.

radiohead_stan01's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

morepeachyogurt's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

very well written and engaging!
Spoiler i fucking knew it was amma

aintnofoolia's review against another edition

I went into this knowing the ending, and I still couldn't put it down. Something about Gillian Flynn books are just *chefs kiss* for me

Anyway I watched the mini series but forgot parts of it so I still had some surprises in there
I hated all of the characters (except like maybe 2) like that no good dirty rotten cop, and the no good dirty rotten sister, and also the no good dirty rotten everyone else

(also not technically set in the south but almost lol)

maddievh's review against another edition

The role of sh was a hard one to digest and made it so I don’t feel good giving it 5 stars but I really enjoyed