De onverklaarbare logica van mijn leven, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

kartpoffel's review against another edition

I don't know how many times I've cried reading this but it couldn't be counted using my fingers

luciacanoal's review against another edition

Esta es una novela de personajes, y vaya personajes tan bonitos, en cierta manera se siente que no tiene trama y que las cosas van pasando sin sentido, pero consiste en eso mismo.
La lógica inexplicable de mi vida va de la realidad de los sentimientos y del duelo, su propio ritmo nos transmite el mensaje de que no podemos buscar el sentido a todos los sucesos que vivimos. Aquí no tenemos introducción, nudo y desenlace, tal y como la vida misma, pero acompañamos al protagonista en una búsqueda personal tan real, sentía cada uno de sus pensamientos como propios. Ojalá haberlo leído de adolescente.

kaje_harper's review against another edition

This story gives us Sal, a high school senior who was adopted as a baby by his gay Hispanic dad. He has a loving grandmother, an interesting extended family, and a female best friend Sam. His life has been good, despite the death of his mother when he was three. His dad is a wonderful guy, who has focused on raising a strong son with all the care he could muster. But now things are starting to change.

Salvador's stable life is being rocked by the illness of his grandmother, the looming question of college and his future, with likely separation from Sam, Sam's increasingly difficult relationship with her mom. Some of the stress comes out in Sal's own moments of uncontrolled temper, which further shake his belief in himself.

Sal is trying to figure out who he is, and what he wants, while weathering a string of surprises, a few good, some very bad. He faces insults from peers over being the adopted white boy, not born into the family he loves. And he's wondering more about the mother he doesn't remember, yet is reluctant to do anything that might shake his faith in where he belongs in his dad's family.

This story was well written; Sáenz had a talent for the vivid image and lovely turn of phrase. It truly embodies the idea of creating family out of connections that are not blood, but caring and affection and need and mutual support. The characters are imperfect, (although Sal's dad is pretty special) and the flaws are plausible. There are deaths, and their impact is believable.

For some reason, I didn't deeply connect to Sal the way I did to Ari and Dante. I enjoyed the book a lot, but wasn't blown away by it. But I was engaged in it enough to have a hard time putting it down, and I was rooting for these characters to find their way through to a good ending. This book doesn't have a big simple arc, but is rather a picture of coming of age, over obstacles and experiences and changes that shake Sal's world. I will definitely read more from this author.

savena's review against another edition

I read another book by this author, [b: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|12000020|Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328320260s/12000020.jpg|16964419], and loved it. So I was really hoping I would feel similarly about this one. But I just wasn't as immersed into the story as I wanted to be. I really liked all the characters, but it felt as if I was watching everything happen from a distance, so when say something sad happened, I was like "yeah wow that sucks", but I didn't feel the sucking. Lol, did that make any sense? Alot of things within this book felt very surface level to me, but then it didn't, but then it did... I don't know.
Don't get me wrong, there were alot of things I really liked about this book: the writing made it really easy to keep flipping page after page which is no surprise coming from this author, the characters were interesting to read about (Sal's dad...man I just wanna hug him), and there was such refreshing portrayal of both familial relationships and friendships. But overall I was left unsatisfied.

yuval's review against another edition

4.5*

asquared92's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book, but it was a bit slow at the beginning. I had a hard time connecting with the characters at first, but once the book sucked me in I was rooting for them. The journey Sal went on to figure out who he was and how he fit in the world was deeply affecting. His whining about his life did get a bit annoying at times. Sam’s story was also very affecting, and I loved the friendship between her and Sal. Fito was an enigma, and it was easy to see how Sal was able to pull him into the family fold. There was a lot of tragedy to wade through and stories told. I found it a little messy at times and sometimes Sal’s story telling wasn’t that reliable. However, I enjoyed watching the plot unfold through Sal’s eyes. I liked how the chapters were titled. The ending felt a bit abrupt.

bowienerd_82's review against another edition

I loved [b:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|12000020|Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328320260s/12000020.jpg|16964419], so I was really looking forward to this one, and unfortunately, I think I had too high expectations, and wound up a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoyed this one, and [a:Benjamin Alire Sáenz|4841310|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1386527200p2/4841310.jpg] really shows his chops as a poet turned YA writer, but I felt there were a few flaws that were hard to ignore.

Number one was the fact that there was so much drama going on in the lives of the three main characters that moments that should have been really emotional lost some of their effectiveness and depth. There were also a lot of moments where I felt characters or situations weren't introduced or eased into properly, making wonder if I'd somehow missed a page or a chapter.

But it was a still a lovely book, and Sal's father Vincente is a gift as a character.

adrianlwaller's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

sascharasch's review against another edition

“maybe everything looked normal on the outside. on the inside, well, there was always some kind of hurricane spinning around”

this book was so amazing! i really loved it (maybe even more than ari and dante)
first of all, the characters where so amazing. i really loved salvador and his was of thinking. vicente was such anamazing dad in everything that he did. sam gave a bit more feist to the story which i really liked. fito was such a cute bean. everyone deserves all the hapiness in the world.
the plot was really amazing. i enjoyed every single page.
100% a 5/5 stars for me

voidfish's review against another edition

I cried for about an hour after I finished reading this. Now that I've finished it, I guess you can say I was relieved that Benjamin's writing style was exactly the same, and some part of me was worried it would have changed. But it felt like coming home, and I think that was the biggest take-away from this novel: home is in the people you love and the ones you surround yourself with, and this book feels like what I always wanted home to be. I'll always come back to it.