Cibola Burn, by James S.A. Corey

b9r88's review against another edition

I liked it ok, with some reservations. The concept of exploring the new frontier and parallels drawn to the American West was cool, but I found myself wishing there was a lot more happening in space rather than so much on the surface of Illus. Elvi was a poorly drawn female character, especially knowing what the authors are capable of with Bobbie and Avasarala having featured earlier in the series.

I do love reading about the ship and crew of the Roci though. Those scenes are like catching up with old friends.

Overall solid enough but a bit disappointing after [b:Caliban's War|12591698|Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)|James S.A. Corey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317402997s/12591698.jpg|17606541] and [b:Abaddon's Gate|16131032|Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)|James S.A. Corey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388202946s/16131032.jpg|17606564].

mikiher's review against another edition

Oh, How I like space opera! It's like eating popcorn!

rosyrays's review against another edition

This was okay. Found myself wishing the Basia/Elvi/Havelock chapters were more main crew ones. And I don't understand why there is such a focus on Holden all the time. He's fine, and I really enjoy his scenes with Miller, but this book had me chugging through chapters with unknown characters to mostly *tell* me about Naomi, Amos and Alex's dynamic with each other, when I would rather be shown through their points of view.

I do continue to enjoy the politics of the Earth/Mars/Belters groups set up against the mystery of the two ancient civilisations, all seen through the eyes of this small crew who keeps getting involved in this shit.

jencollins1015's review against another edition

I was so reluctant to go back to the Expanse series after book 3, which I had to push myself to finish. I am so happy that I did, however. Chibola Burn was a great installment with only a few things that annoyed me. I liked the setting of a new world. It had a built in intrigue that I loved. I also love Holden and Miller together, which I had in spades in this novel. Having Havelock be one of the narrators was great as well. He was an interesting character in the first book and was really built up in this one. I think the one thing that bothered me was Elvi's POV. I liked her at first but then she got annoying and fast. She was, however, not as annoying as most of the narrators in book three. All in all, this was a really good installment, my favorite since the first novel.

peartree's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful medium-paced

metrazol's review against another edition

Mildly dramatic.

rsantorella's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny reflective tense slow-paced

robynldouglas's review against another edition

I found the challenges of the planet, the scientists rushing around to save things, Holden's interactions with the protomolecule, the idea of a new frontier, etc all absolutely fascinating and lots of fun. But I didn't like the moustache-twirling evil villain (I found him unbelievable) or the lack of female viewpoints in this. (Elvi is a great character but also problematic.) Man oh man, though, I am looking forward to the next one!

haldoor's review against another edition

In this fourth book of The Expanse series, a Belter ship full of refugees has gone through the ring of Abaddon's Gate (the last book) and landed on an Earth-like planet and begun to settle there. A company from Earth sends a team of scientists to study it, along with a security team headed by Murtry, who is determined to claim the new planet for his bosses, no matter the cost.

There's an explosion as they land a shuttle, and lives are lost. The UN send James Holden and his team to mediate before the resulting conflict causes too many more deaths.

We get to see what's happening on the planet from several perspectives, just as on previous books, and as always, it's action-packed and peopled with interesting and varied characters. I was riveted to it, not least because I'd already watched Season 4 of the excellent TV series of the story. The book obviously has its differences to the show, but overall the main points and story are kept in line.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, and can't wait to move on to book 5.

kateofmind's review against another edition

Truly a terrible planet