Trespasses by Louise Kennedy

memmaj's review

emotional informative medium-paced

pixiebell_reads87's review against another edition

4.5 ⭐️ I really hadn't planned on reading this until my grandmother recommended it and gave me her copy. I was drawn in with the first few pages and I have to say that I thought it was an excellent read and the themes were well executed and subtly emotive. No hysterics or over dramatisation which I appreciated.

aeb123's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

maddivolpi's review

emotional sad medium-paced

Must read. Great writer first time I even skimmed through the acknowledgement, that's how good of a writer she is. The characters are deep, complex, well developed. The storyline well developed. Everytime I thought I knew where it was going, it would prove me wrong without being unrealistic. Cried so much; the ending as good as the rest of the book. We read the protagonist internal dialogue as well as a full, never boring plot. Truly such a good book. Just do yourself a favour and read it; barely 300 pages but once you're in you're in.

corapops's review

dark emotional informative mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

This was certainly an enjoyable, quick read - I devoured it within two days, so it gets points for getting me out of a reading slump! That said, I don’t think it will be one that I will reread in the future.

It is an interesting premise, the forbidden love trope set against the backdrop of the troubles. Explorations are made concerning the differences between Cushla and Michael, ranging from religion to class to age - these were portrayed realistically however felt very surface-level, I would have liked to have seen some of these themes developed further. I enjoyed the recurring motif of the gorse, however again feel like little more would be ascertained or interpreted from rereading the book. My main issue is that the plot was entirely predictable, the foreshadowing proving entirely unsubtle which made the ‘twists’ feel very underwhelming.

Issues aside, the historical backdrop for this book was handled sensitively and accurately - coming from a northern irish family the descriptions perfectly encapsulate how my parents described everyday life under the troubles.

Overall an adequate book, but not one that revisiting would add any more depth to.

mandarockz's review against another edition

reflective sad slow-paced

rozzles95's review against another edition

4.5 stars, I might change my mind once I’ve sat with this for a while.

Beautifully written, Cushla strides right off the page. The whole book is teaming with the underlying violence of the troubles, which gets closer and closer to home.

I really enjoyed the characters and their relationships. Even the jump forward at the end was satisfying.

sab_1961's review against another edition

Excellent read.

mitchk's review

dark informative reflective sad medium-paced

llamallama527's review against another edition

Not feeling it right now.