Reviews tagging Cursing

As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

chloek608's review against another edition

adventurous dark informative mysterious tense fast-paced

I recommend this book if you like:
-the first 2 books (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder and Good Girl, Bad Blood)
-an amazing, intricate, well thought out thriller
-YA mystery

This book plot was insanely good! I cannot recommend enough! I actually think this third installment of the trilogy is the best out of the three and they were all fantastic. This has easily made my favourites list.

Pip has a stalker, a potential serial killer. But he's locked up in prison, right? So is she imagining things? Looking for clues that aren't there? Pip isn't the same girl she once was, before the previous two books. She's seen things, heard things, been through events that are tough to forget, impossible to leave in the past.

SpoilerPip received messages, who will look for you when you disappear? Pip wasn't sure at first but comes to an answer during the book; her boyfriend Ravi, her family and friends.

She gets abducted by the Duct Tape (DT) Killer. She goes through a horrific experience of being tied up and left in a work garage. Pip manages to escape, climb shelving, break a window and get to the forest before Jason Bell returns to kill her.

Pip makes a choice, she returns to the garage to finish him off, takes a hammer to his head nine times; overkill. But now she's the murderer.

Here comes the mind blowing, detailed plan on how to get away with murder. Slow down rigour mortis, delay the time of death and then get an airtight alibi. All which she achieves with the help of her boyfriend and friends. She uses a cars air con then heater to artificially control the effects of death on the body.

It goes one step further. Implicate and set up Max Hastings, the local drug dealer and rapist. Plant evidence at the scene to make him go down.

It all nearly unravelled due to a stray pair of headphones found in Jason Bell's bedroom. A trophy he had stored to remember his 6th victim to be. But thankfully Ravi stepped in with an explanation which was believed.

Pip moved away from home and went to uni and had to cut contact from all her friends and Ravi. In case the trial didn't go the way they planned, she needed to ensure the ones she loved didn't get into trouble.

After a long wait, the trial ended and Max was found guilty. Ravi immediately messaged Pip. That's where the story ended.

Pip thought right and wrong was so explicit. Black or white. She discovered first hand that there are many shades of grey and that sometimes the truth should stay hidden.

llyfrauginger's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Just as well written, but not as enjoyable. Pip's decisions were very stressful to read.

hi_there's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

lilith_hmr's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This book was just crazy. Especially the second half of the book. The AGGGTM title fits perfectly to the storyline and honestly it was such a rollercoaster. I can't believe the ending though, that hurt a lot, but it was such an amazing story. This is definitely my favourite book in the series

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring mysterious tense

Amazing book. Everyone kept telling me it was the best in the series, and I see why. At first I was skeptical because it was going so slow but around 20% it started picking up pace. Read this book in 4 days, which is super fast for me. Once I got past the first 20% of the book, I couldn’t put it down. There were definitely some scenes that made me want to throw up, so make sure to look at trigger warnings before picking this book up. I’d say I’m satisfied with this ending to the series.

khloereads86's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Ahh I want more! The ending felt so abrupt I wish we got a little more after that. That last little bit was heartbreaking for Pip & everyone she loved.
I was hooked the first half of the book trying to figure out who it was. I really enjoyed the stalker part of it even though it was frustrating to see Pip not take her safety that seriously and keep going out alone.
Spoiler I did notice a few main hints early on, like the necklace and the hairbrush and when Jason was standing at the door watching when she got the (second?) call, but I wasn’t 100% sure if it was him or Hawkins for a while.

The second half of the book I’m not so sure about. I definitely didn’t enjoy it as much as the first half or the previous books.
Spoiler I really wasn’t expecting the killer to take her so early on, and for her to end up killing him instead seemed really out of character for Pip. It was made very clear too that it wasn’t totally in self defense, she made a conscious decision to go back and kill him instead of getting free and providing the police all the evidence of what had happened. I understand her mistrust of the justice system somewhat but if she had given them everything she’d found on the DT killer and they had found the evidence at his house (trophies) and in his car especially, they would have had to arrest him. They figured out he was the killer and a rapist at the end of the book anyways. It was really interesting to see her work through the steps and come up with ideas to get her and anyone she involved out of trouble, but I didn’t like that she brought her friends into that situation either. It was something she decided to do, and she brought them into danger directly by involving them in the coverup even if they had ‘plausible deniability’ technically. They obviously all knew she’d killed him and even before that that she’d committed a serious crime, and she put them at risk anyways to save herself instead of doing everything she could to fix it herself (usually to her own self-detriment) like she would have in previous books to protect them.

I also really liked that Pip’s ptsd was somewhat addressed, although I really don’t understand how her parents thought she would be okay enough to stop talking to a therapist after such a short amount of time considering what she’d been through.

bookish_kori's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

redroseses's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

abi_ineedtoreadmore's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense fast-paced

emmaward55's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense

I've had several days to digest AGAD now and I'm still lost for words.

Ending a trilogy satisfactorily, especially such a well-received trilogy, is tough for many authors - and for some simply impossible. Often a trilogy will conclude and I'll be left wishing we'd just had the initial book as a standalone. This is different. Jackson wrote a book that soared above expectations and arguably became the best book of the series. I can't tell you how much I adored reading AGAD, from working through the clues with Pip to really feeling her pain, her trauma, her emotions - it was transformative. I can't think of any real criticism that I have with this title and I want to recommend it to everyone!

What really stood out to me was how Jackson handles trauma in her narrative, crucially that relating to SA and gendered violence. She writes with empathy, not only for her characters, but for her audience and she tells her story without inflicting unnecessarily triggering content on both. The words and acts of the book feel excruciatingly real and yet it is not handled in such a way as to be confusing or vague. Jackson proves that stories about trauma do not have to be retraumatising to consume.

Stepping away from the heavier topic for a moment, I loved the narrative beats of this book and they caught me totally off-guard! The tonal shift that occurred halfway through the book with Jason's murder and the way they shape the remaining plot was incredible. I'm so thankful that it played out the way that it did, because I needed it. This is a revenge book. This is a survival book. This is a "I see you, and I'm giving us the ending we always wanted for us" book. The ethical questions that Jackson has grappled with in this series are both important and timely. What do you do when the justice system fails you? What do you do when the police don't believe you? Is there a punishment that is too high for murderers and rapists? Ultimately, I think Pip did the morally right thing. She prevented two dangerous men from ever harming another innocent person and she, in my mind at least, acted in self defense. It was her or them.

Lastly, I'm a sucker for a HEA and I usually feel like a story is ruined for me if I don't explicitly get it. AGAD's ending left me with complicated emotions at first. I couldn't understand why Pip broke up with Ravi and spent all those months isolating herself from her loved ones... but that's PTSD. That's survivor's guilt, and depression, and anxiety and everything else that has compounded to make Pip the person she was. She did her best to protect everyone around her, whilst simultaneously neglecting herself and her own needs. I have no doubt that the road ahead for her will be hard, but I also know that she'll heal and she'll find her way back to those relationships. Trauma changes who we are as people, but it doesn't erase us. Pip will return changed, but alive. I think many of us can relate to that.